Re: [NH] Clipbook / program to convert Word junk -> HTML

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
      I wrote:
      >It's Word's curly quotes that give you trouble.

      You can do it with Notetab too. Notetab can display the curly quotes and
      the Replace thingie recognizes them, so you can select one of each kind and
      do a "replace all" with the entity for the corresponding legit curly quote.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
        Julie wrote:
        > >It's Word's curly quotes that give you trouble.

        >It's also accented letters like √Čomer.

        Ah. The first example came through all jumbled so I went by the second one.

        >The site gives me six uses a day. The potential
        >project isn't a rush at least... doesn't matter
        >how long it takes, but I have a substantial
        >number of articles to convert. Could take a while. LOL

        You could use a proxy. ;-o)

        Lotta
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hey Lotta -

          >You could use a proxy. ;-o)

          The thought has crossed my mind. <G>

          Julie

        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
            Julie <gleits@...> wrote:

            I can't believe people
            posted that mess! A friend wants to repost them
            cleaned up, so I thought I'd see if there was an easy way to do this. :-)

            No, you needn't 't believe that. It's much more likely that some component (program) used by the poster of the blog entry, has replaced what it considered to be non-standard characters, curly quotes, accented characters etc., with their corresponding "escape-codes", because many viewers will not have the character sets needed to display them. Many systems recognize only the extremely provincial and badly limited ASCII character set.

            It's probably the blog software that is not able to replace those escape-codes with the corresponding characters.

            Bruce