Re: [NH] Clipbook / program to convert Word junk -> HTML

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hey Lotta

      >It's Word's curly quotes that give you trouble. They are non-standard. You
      >can turn them off in Word. I don't know what happens if you try to turn
      >them off on a document that already has them. Maybe if you turn them off
      >and then paste the text into a new document?

      It's also accented letters like Éomer. Many of
      these are articles that have been posted in blogs
      that I've collected... I can't believe people
      posted that mess! A friend wants to repost them
      cleaned up, so I thought I'd see if there was an easy way to do this. :-)

      >Too bad about WordCleaner. It used to be free. :-(

      The site gives me six uses a day. The potential
      project isn't a rush at least... doesn't matter
      how long it takes, but I have a substantial
      number of articles to convert. Could take a while. LOL

      Julie

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
        I wrote:
        >It's Word's curly quotes that give you trouble.

        You can do it with Notetab too. Notetab can display the curly quotes and
        the Replace thingie recognizes them, so you can select one of each kind and
        do a "replace all" with the entity for the corresponding legit curly quote.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          Julie wrote:
          > >It's Word's curly quotes that give you trouble.

          >It's also accented letters like Éomer.

          Ah. The first example came through all jumbled so I went by the second one.

          >The site gives me six uses a day. The potential
          >project isn't a rush at least... doesn't matter
          >how long it takes, but I have a substantial
          >number of articles to convert. Could take a while. LOL

          You could use a proxy. ;-o)

          Lotta
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hey Lotta -

            >You could use a proxy. ;-o)

            The thought has crossed my mind. <G>

            Julie

          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
              Julie <gleits@...> wrote:

              I can't believe people
              posted that mess! A friend wants to repost them
              cleaned up, so I thought I'd see if there was an easy way to do this. :-)

              No, you needn't 't believe that. It's much more likely that some component (program) used by the poster of the blog entry, has replaced what it considered to be non-standard characters, curly quotes, accented characters etc., with their corresponding "escape-codes", because many viewers will not have the character sets needed to display them. Many systems recognize only the extremely provincial and badly limited ASCII character set.

              It's probably the blog software that is not able to replace those escape-codes with the corresponding characters.

              Bruce