RE: [NH] Bad Rendering

  • John Wallace
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2006
      Why do you need 2 programs to do a search?
      findbook.cgi and browsebk.cgi

      Why not incorporate the Browse section into the findbook.cgi since it works?

      Without seeing the cgi, I would compare the 2 to see what is different.

      John Wallace
      Pontiac Power RULES !!!
      www.wallaceracing.com

      Subject: [NH] Bad Rendering

      Hello All,

      I use a form to invoke a CGI script for searching our club's collection of library books. When I search by Author, Title, Publisher,
      or Year the results render properly in both MSIE v6 and Firefox v1.5.0.8. When I browse by Subject, MSIE renders the output fine,
      but Firefox shows the raw HTML -- not as a web page. I have copied the output to a separate text file, and saved it as
      "browse.htm". then that file renders properly in both browsers. I have run browse.htm through the CSE HTML Validator, and the only
      complaint is that some books contain an unescaped ampersand in the title. I doubt that's causing the problem because when I create a
      test file, containing unescaped ampersands, Firefox renders it as a web page with no problem.

      To see an example, please visit www.asterism.org Then click Club Activities > Library Book Search. If you use the Find form for
      Author, Title, Publisher or Year, both browsers render OK. If you use the Browse form for any subject, only Firefox will fail.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp