Bad Rendering

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2006
      Hello All,

      I use a form to invoke a CGI script for searching our club's collection of
      library books. When I search by Author, Title, Publisher, or Year the results
      render properly in both MSIE v6 and Firefox v1.5.0.8. When I browse by
      Subject, MSIE renders the output fine, but Firefox shows the raw HTML -- not
      as a web page. I have copied the output to a separate text file, and saved it
      as "browse.htm". then that file renders properly in both browsers. I have run
      browse.htm through the CSE HTML Validator, and the only complaint is that some
      books contain an unescaped ampersand in the title. I doubt that's causing the
      problem because when I create a test file, containing unescaped ampersands,
      Firefox renders it as a web page with no problem.

      To see an example, please visit www.asterism.org Then click Club Activities >
      Library Book Search. If you use the Find form for Author, Title, Publisher or
      Year, both browsers render OK. If you use the Browse form for any subject,
      only Firefox will fail.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
    • John Wallace
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2006
        Why do you need 2 programs to do a search?
        findbook.cgi and browsebk.cgi

        Why not incorporate the Browse section into the findbook.cgi since it works?

        Without seeing the cgi, I would compare the 2 to see what is different.

        John Wallace
        Pontiac Power RULES !!!
        www.wallaceracing.com

        Subject: [NH] Bad Rendering