[NH] Links - underlining of

  • Mary A. Kelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 1999
      Everyone obviously has their own ideas about the underlining of active
      links. The page that I am doing for a friend is an index of about 300
      names, each of which is obviously an active link, that is why they are
      listed - as the alink and vlink colours are different a person would be
      able to tell which page had been visited and which hadn't, so that is not
      an issue. With a straight list of 300 names the underlining just looks
      superfluous and distracting - and of course in table form takes longer to
      download.

      Is there a better way of lining up columns of text in an orderly fashion
      than using a table format? I have never been successful at keeping columns
      in a straight line with my html coding. If I use XMP or PRE everything
      moves around when different tags are added (ie some lines line in bold
      print, some not etc). Is it do-able with tabs - I have never used tabs
      with my html, I usually use spacing instead.

      I am getting a real kick out of learning so many new aspects about NoteTab
      Pro; I couldn't live without it!

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hi Mary,

        > Is there a better way of lining up columns of text in an
        > orderly fashion than using a table format? I have never been
        > successful at keeping columns in a straight line with my html
        > coding. If I use XMP or PRE everything moves around when
        > different tags are added (ie some lines line in bold print,
        > some not etc). Is it do-able with tabs - I have never used
        > tabs with my html, I usually use spacing instead.

        HTML code will work inside <PRE>, at least what I have done with
        it. Perhaps you can use <PRE> and use <FONT FACE=... and other
        attributes.

        Happy Camper,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 15:15

        Clean-Funnies
        mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
          > links. The page that I am doing for a friend is an index of about 300
          > names, each of which is obviously an active link, that is why they are

          ok :o)

          > an issue. With a straight list of 300 names the underlining just looks
          > superfluous and distracting - and of course in table form takes longer to
          > download.

          ahm - because of the underlining?! sure you mean the table.

          > Is there a better way of lining up columns of text in an orderly fashion
          > than using a table format? I have never been successful at keeping columns

          Yes, using a clever table.
          You can have dozens of tablerows or you just make 'five row a table'

          <TABLE >
          <TR>
          <TD> </TD>
          [...]
          <TD> </TD>
          </TR>
          [tr repeated several times]
          </TABLE>

          but
          <TABLE >
          <TR>
          <TD> </TD>
          [...]
          <TD> </TD>
          </TR>
          </TABLE>
          <TABLE >
          <TR>
          <TD> </TD>
          [...]
          <TD> </TD>
          </TR>
          </TABLE>

          It depends on your table. Of course you shouldn't do this by hand, you
          should try to automate this. Yes, it is easier to do this by hand now, but
          this will be saved and changed and then you perhaps have to do this again.

          Perhaps you can give a link to look at? Then we could make better
          suggestions.

          > print, some not etc). Is it do-able with tabs - I have never used tabs
          > with my html, I usually use spacing instead.

          no, it isn't; there are no tabs and spaces (spaces are only relevant in
          <pre></pre>.

          --
          »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
          enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
        • Bob Janes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
            >> and of course in table form takes longer to download.

            > ahm - because of the underlining?! sure you mean the table.

            As I understand it, it's not that the table takes a long time to download but
            that most browsers don't start to display the table until it has all downloaded.
            So using text or short chunks of table gives much quicker visual feed-back to
            the user and helps stop them getting impatient. (I believe that IE5 is the
            exception that now displays tables as they down-load.)

            Best regards

            Bob

            --

            Bob Janes
            Webster & Janes Ltd

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
          • Glenn Dixon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
              Bob,

              I have IE5.0 and I recently gained the responsibility of updating a web page
              which contains one medium and one LARGE table. I can assure you that IE 5.0
              does NOT display a table until it is all loaded. On a 56K modem this page
              takes 35+ seconds to load up the 2nd table....maybe longer!