Re: [NH] Re: [NTB] Tables or not

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 11, 2006
      Kerry Coates wrote:
      > oK. I think Don understood me, but I think a few got it turned around. I wrote the code for IE and then when I opened it into Mozilla it got all scrambled. It looks beautiful in IE!! You can go to http://www.gilamountaindulcimers.com/new/index.htm
      > to view it (I finally got it loaded so it is on the internet but it is not "published" as my home page yet -- still using the tried and true tables there!). Anyway, I cannot figure out what I need to do to get it to work in Mozilla. If you need to view the style sheet, go to http://www.gilamountaindulcimers.com/new/dulcimer-main-style.htm
      > I thank all of you in advance!! This is my very first try at going it without tables!

      Yes always write in mozilla first and then go back to ie. You are more
      likely to come out right in both with less effort Kerry.

      I also use two great features in firefox to help me in situations like
      this. I have something called the Web Developer Extension installed.
      It shows me what is going on with your pages because I am able to
      highlight all blocks of text and what I find is that your paragraphs are
      too wide.

      The next thing I look at is taking EVERYTHING out of the page, and then
      putting things in one at a time, working in firefox.

      You have this:
      RANDOM THOUGHTS

      If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is
      no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
      ... and it list random after random after random. Your page is really
      really busy. Is that intentional? I don't have ie6 on the two machines
      I have up right now, so I cannot see you page completely as you want it,
      but looking at it in ie7 I get a better approximation.

      One of the first things you should do is validate your page. That is
      likely to turn up errors and often fixing those errors will fix your page:

      http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gilamountaindulcimers.com%2Fnew%2Findex.htm

      Again I do this with one click on firefoxes web developer toolbar.

      You can go from there.
    • Cary Driscoll
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 14, 2006
        Hi Kerry,

        I haven't had time to look too carefully at it, but some testing revealled
        that IE 6 doesn't extend the background color through the width of the
        border which makes a black double border and a black background look solid
        in other browsers.

        You can use this instead of <embed>, but it's only for MP3s.

        <object classid="clsid:02bf25d5-8c17-4b23-bc80-d3488abddc6b"
        codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" width="100"
        height="20">
        <param name="src" value="music/oldloversmoon.mp3">
        <param name="controller" value="true">
        <param name="autoplay" value="true">
        <object type="audio/x-mpeg" data="music/oldloversmoon.mp3" width="100"
        height="20">
        <param name="controller" value="true">
        <param name="autoplay" value="true">
        </object>