Re: IE_hacks Was -- Re: [NH] Re: [NTB] Tables or not

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 10, 2006
      sisterscape wrote:
      > I agree about IE 7. I had a Beta version installed for a short while
      > and absolutely hated it. My automatic updates are turned off and I
      > have already relegated the dreaded IE 7 update to "hidden" status.
      > MS's move to IE 7 made me realize it was time to get out of web design.
      > I'll just maintain my current sites (which all work in IE 7 just fine -
      > I checked at the library). And I'll go to Linux before I'll upgrade to
      > Vista. I'm so sick of the MS BS.

      Really if you develop in Firefox it all works out fine in IE7. You had
      to code firefox anyway. You may still need to add a hack or two for IE6
      until it falls out of favor ... which will be in about 6-7 months after
      Vista rolls out with it. IE6 has many security holes and you will want
      to replace it. IE7 is much closer to standards compliant than 6 was.

      Don't give up. This can go to off topic if it continues probably off of
      my thoughts. The Hacks part is probably on topic.
    • Cary Driscoll
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 14, 2006
        Hi Kerry,

        I haven't had time to look too carefully at it, but some testing revealled
        that IE 6 doesn't extend the background color through the width of the
        border which makes a black double border and a black background look solid
        in other browsers.

        You can use this instead of <embed>, but it's only for MP3s.

        <object classid="clsid:02bf25d5-8c17-4b23-bc80-d3488abddc6b"
        codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" width="100"
        height="20">
        <param name="src" value="music/oldloversmoon.mp3">
        <param name="controller" value="true">
        <param name="autoplay" value="true">
        <object type="audio/x-mpeg" data="music/oldloversmoon.mp3" width="100"
        height="20">
        <param name="controller" value="true">
        <param name="autoplay" value="true">
        </object>