Re: [NH] Re: [NTB] Tables or not

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 10, 2006
      On the last exciting episode, aired on 10/11/2006 14:18, sisterscape
      invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
      > I agree. IE is a buggy mess when it comes to CSS. Often needs hacks
      > and workarounds. In time you'll get know what works across
      > browser/platforms and avoid the pitfalls. One thing that helps IE play
      > nice is to remove the xml prologue that might be before the DOCTYPE as
      > it throws IE into quirks mode. It looks something like this - <?xml
      > version="1.0"?>. Good luck!

      Actually, this bug (and a number of other ones) apparently has been
      fixed in IE7. It's not perfect, but a lot of neat things that fail in
      IE6 work well in IE7, such as Eric Meyer's "Complex Spiral" demo.

      Not that it makes much of a difference: IE 6 will still be a very common
      browser for quite a while yet. Not only IE7 is not available for older
      versions of Windows (and there are quite a few Windows 2000 / 98 /ME
      machines still around), but I have seen interviews with IT staff for
      large companies in which they say they may wait as long as one year
      before deploying IE7. They might even wait for XP Service Pack 3, which
      will include IE7 and is targeted for release in the second half of 2007
      (and you know how Microsoft release targets tend to slip...)

      So... we still have to take IE6 (and even IE5, which by all rights
      should be buried but is still around) in consideration while writing
      pages. It will be a few years before it will be realistic to assume
      IE7-level standards compliance from average users.

      Marcelo
    • Cary Driscoll
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 14, 2006
        Hi Kerry,

        I haven't had time to look too carefully at it, but some testing revealled
        that IE 6 doesn't extend the background color through the width of the
        border which makes a black double border and a black background look solid
        in other browsers.

        You can use this instead of <embed>, but it's only for MP3s.

        <object classid="clsid:02bf25d5-8c17-4b23-bc80-d3488abddc6b"
        codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" width="100"
        height="20">
        <param name="src" value="music/oldloversmoon.mp3">
        <param name="controller" value="true">
        <param name="autoplay" value="true">
        <object type="audio/x-mpeg" data="music/oldloversmoon.mp3" width="100"
        height="20">
        <param name="controller" value="true">
        <param name="autoplay" value="true">
        </object>