Question about: meta name="keywords"

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
      Howdy,

      Do keywords need to be separated by commas? This is how I have always done it.
      But the site below uses white space and not commas.

      The site below that one states using comma area correct.

      Which is correct/preferable?
      -Mike
      FROM:
      http://webdesign.about.com/od/metataglibraries/a/aa080300a.htm

      <head>
      <title>Meta Refresh Tag</title>
      reload a page, or force your readers to a new page">

      =============

      FROM: http://www.highrankings.com/metakeyword.htm
      <HEAD>
      <TITLE>your DESCRIPTIVE KEYWORDS title goes here</TITLE>
      <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Your keyword rich marketing sales-pitch
      meta description goes here">
      <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="your keywords,go here,separated by a
      comma,but not a space">
      </HEAD>

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > Howdy,
        >
        > Do keywords need to be separated by commas? This is how I have always done it.
        > But the site below uses white space and not commas.
        >
        > The site below that one states using comma area correct.
        >
        > Which is correct/preferable?
        > -Mike

        Either is fine. It no longer matters much as keywords are almost
        entirely disregarded thanks to index spamming a few years ago. Title,
        Heading Tags and Content are what get you where you are going these days
        (plus external links back to you).
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          At 09:09 AM 10/3/2006 , you wrote:
          >Either is fine. It no longer matters much as keywords are almost
          >entirely disregarded thanks to index spamming a few years ago. Title,
          >Heading Tags and Content are what get you where you are going these days
          >(plus external links back to you).

          Thanks!
          -Mike

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
            Mike Breiding wrote:
            >Do keywords need to be separated by commas? This is how I have always done it.
            >But the site below uses white space and not commas.
            >
            >The site below that one states using comma area correct.
            >
            >Which is correct/preferable?

            Comma. But why bother with keywords at all?

            How should this be interpreted?

            meta, refresh, automatic, redirection, meta, tags
            or
            meta refresh, automatic redirection, meta tags
            or like sentence?
            "meta refresh automatic redirection meta tags"

            A machine would have to go for the first or last option. It can't figure
            out the second and preferred one on its own. Neither would a human who
            isn't already familiar with the terms.