RE: [NH] open new window when use a link ....

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2000
      > I have a question that I am not sure how to ask ... I want to use
      > information on ERA main website from a link on my ERA customers
      > website and when they go to ERA main from a link on the my
      > customers page (which I am writing)it opens a second window? NOW
      > when you use the link on my page it goes to the ERA main page but
      > they have disconnected the back button so that it is not easy to
      > get back to the original ERA page ... does anyone know how ....
      >
      > 1. How ERA caused the back button not to work.

      >it opens a second window?

      This has nothing to do with ERA but it is how it is.
      The window object is a top-level object
      When you open a new window it bears no relationship to the the window which
      opened it.
      If you open a page in the same window (a normal link) then the the other
      objects which belong to it , like the history object,(the back button) would
      work.
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2000
        Bill *||:>) wrote:

        Thanks grant ... beginning to think no one loved ... me ha ha ..

        Grant wrote:

        If you open a page in the same window (a normal link) then the
        other
        objects which belong to it , like the history object,(the back
        button) would work.

        Bill *||:>) wrote:

        I think I see what you mean if there is no history then the back
        button is not there so that the back button is a function of
        where you have been ?

        Unless it is my imagination I have been to pages that grey out
        the back button when I did have previous history ... how do you
        explain
        that?

        What I did so far is to write a page

        www.era-california-realestate.com/funstuff.html

        which has a popup window that goes to

        ERA search pages and such ... with no tool bar
        so that the customer continues to have a window
        that has era ginter brown .... and a window which
        has all the functions of era main pages ... here is
        the pop up window code for anyone that wants to play
        with it ....

        <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript">
        window.open ('http://www.ERA.com/propertysearch.html',
        'newwindow',
        config='height=450,width=450,toolbar=no,menubar=no,srollbars=no,resizable=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no')
        </SCRIPT>

        Of course going off to era main pages makes my pages look plain .
        My customer does not have the budget for the same type pages that
        era main. Any suggestions as how to dress up ERA ginter brown
        without slowing it down ... ?

        Bill