Re: [NH] Using for the opening and closing tags with xhtml

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
      At 10:05 AM 10/1/2006 , you wrote:
      >OK, I think I get what you are after now. "All XHTML elements must be
      >nested within the <html> root element". The doctype isn't an element. It
      >should always be the very first thing. Except in XHTML it should really be
      >the second thing, preceded by an XML declaration, but everyone leaves that
      >out anyway.
      >
      >Lotta

      Hmmm...
      I think I get it. The XML declaration ( version, etc) should precede the
      doctype.
      I fell into using XHTML by accident and have not really taken much time to
      learn the basics.

      These helped:
      http://webdesign.about.com/od/xml/a/aa062501a.htm
      http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/Tutorials/Intro/declare.html

      Thanks!
      -Mike

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        >I think I get it. The XML declaration ( version, etc) should precede the
        >doctype.

        Yes, should. But you mustn't. No one uses it because it puts IE in Quirks
        Mode. You are fine without as long as you keep to Ascii characters (if you
        don't use a UTF-8 capable editor).
        http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_1

        >I fell into using XHTML by accident and have not really taken much time to
        >learn the basics.

        Fall out again. It won't hurt a bit. ;-o)