Re: [NH] Using for the opening and closing tags with xhtml

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
      loro wrote:
      >Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > >I used http://validator.w3.org/ to Validate this:
      > >---
      > ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
      > >Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html
      > >xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
      >
      >OK, but this isn't the code you posted earlier. In this version you have an
      >extra <html> BEFORE the doctype.

      OK, I think I get what you are after now. "All XHTML elements must be
      nested within the <html> root element". The doctype isn't an element. It
      should always be the very first thing. Except in XHTML it should really be
      the second thing, preceded by an XML declaration, but everyone leaves that
      out anyway.

      Lotta
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
        At 10:05 AM 10/1/2006 , you wrote:
        >OK, I think I get what you are after now. "All XHTML elements must be
        >nested within the <html> root element". The doctype isn't an element. It
        >should always be the very first thing. Except in XHTML it should really be
        >the second thing, preceded by an XML declaration, but everyone leaves that
        >out anyway.
        >
        >Lotta

        Hmmm...
        I think I get it. The XML declaration ( version, etc) should precede the
        doctype.
        I fell into using XHTML by accident and have not really taken much time to
        learn the basics.

        These helped:
        http://webdesign.about.com/od/xml/a/aa062501a.htm
        http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/Tutorials/Intro/declare.html

        Thanks!
        -Mike

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          >I think I get it. The XML declaration ( version, etc) should precede the
          >doctype.

          Yes, should. But you mustn't. No one uses it because it puts IE in Quirks
          Mode. You are fine without as long as you keep to Ascii characters (if you
          don't use a UTF-8 capable editor).
          http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_1

          >I fell into using XHTML by accident and have not really taken much time to
          >learn the basics.

          Fall out again. It won't hurt a bit. ;-o)