open new window when use a link ....

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
      Hi ALL:

      I have a question that I am not sure how to ask ... I want to use
      information on ERA main website from a link on my ERA customers
      website and when they go to ERA main from a link on the my
      customers page (which I am writing)it opens a second window? NOW
      when you use the link on my page it goes to the ERA main page but
      they have disconnected the back button so that it is not easy to
      get back to the original ERA page ... does anyone know how ....

      1. How ERA caused the back button not to work.

      2. How to make sure that the customer comes back to me?

      Cheers

      Bill Scottt

      http://www.domainsnregistry.com
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2000
        > I have a question that I am not sure how to ask ... I want to use
        > information on ERA main website from a link on my ERA customers
        > website and when they go to ERA main from a link on the my
        > customers page (which I am writing)it opens a second window? NOW
        > when you use the link on my page it goes to the ERA main page but
        > they have disconnected the back button so that it is not easy to
        > get back to the original ERA page ... does anyone know how ....
        >
        > 1. How ERA caused the back button not to work.

        >it opens a second window?

        This has nothing to do with ERA but it is how it is.
        The window object is a top-level object
        When you open a new window it bears no relationship to the the window which
        opened it.
        If you open a page in the same window (a normal link) then the the other
        objects which belong to it , like the history object,(the back button) would
        work.
      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2000
          Bill *||:>) wrote:

          Thanks grant ... beginning to think no one loved ... me ha ha ..

          Grant wrote:

          If you open a page in the same window (a normal link) then the
          other
          objects which belong to it , like the history object,(the back
          button) would work.

          Bill *||:>) wrote:

          I think I see what you mean if there is no history then the back
          button is not there so that the back button is a function of
          where you have been ?

          Unless it is my imagination I have been to pages that grey out
          the back button when I did have previous history ... how do you
          explain
          that?

          What I did so far is to write a page

          www.era-california-realestate.com/funstuff.html

          which has a popup window that goes to

          ERA search pages and such ... with no tool bar
          so that the customer continues to have a window
          that has era ginter brown .... and a window which
          has all the functions of era main pages ... here is
          the pop up window code for anyone that wants to play
          with it ....

          <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript">
          window.open ('http://www.ERA.com/propertysearch.html',
          'newwindow',
          config='height=450,width=450,toolbar=no,menubar=no,srollbars=no,resizable=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no')
          </SCRIPT>

          Of course going off to era main pages makes my pages look plain .
          My customer does not have the budget for the same type pages that
          era main. Any suggestions as how to dress up ERA ginter brown
          without slowing it down ... ?

          Bill