Re: [NH] Tidy strips tags within tags

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1 3:49 AM
      At 11:13 AM 9/30/2006 , sisterscape wrote:
      >1. As I remember - I'm a little rusty, <center> is a block level
      >element and not allowed within <p>.
      >2. It is also deprecated. Try using <p style="text-align: center;">
      >instead. Or better yet, don't do inline styles at all. Instead, create
      >a class and put it in a separate style sheet. sisterscape

      I used "=======HTML===========" in my original post and then inadvertently
      copied it to the validator.

      Thanks to you and all others for the replies.
      I should have validated before sending my original post.
      Results from : http://validator.w3.org/check are below.

      The complete line the first error refers to is :
      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
      Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html

      I am not even sure how "=======HTML===========" ended up in the page.
      Does XHTML require similar tags to the <HTML> </HTML> tags?

      " Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness
      and validity.

      1. Error Line 1 column 0: character "=" not allowed in prolog.

      2. Error Line 24 column 89: element "center" undefined.

      ...t="480" title="" alt="" /><p><center>001_dolly_sods_2006.jpg
      (640x480; 41929

      You have used the element named above in your document, but the
      document type you are using does not define an element of that name. This
      error is often caused by:
      * incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document
      that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get the
      "<frameset>" element),
      * by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or
      "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired
      effect instead).
      * by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and
      elements must be all lower-case."

    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1 6:23 AM
        At 03:32 PM 9/30/2006 , you wrote:
        >.center {text-align:center;}
        >with <p class="center">

        Hi Lee,

        I could not get <p class="center"> to work.
        I added this: .center {text-align:center;} to the CSS.
        I also removed "text-align: left" from the Gallery DIV:
        div#gallery p {text-align: left;margin: 10px 0 10px 0;font: 100%/1.3
        Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif}
        My thinking was the Content DIV might be inheriting the left alignment from
        the Gallery rules.

        Any thoughts on this?
        I will post to CSS Discuss http://www.css-discuss.org/ if this goes not
        further here.