Re: [NH] Tidy strips tags within tags - OT

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2006
      Cary Driscoll wrote:
      >Unfortunately, I had already sent off my response some 4 hours before it
      >finally showed up in the list. I don't know what limbo Yahoo was
      >suspending it in, but I would have cancelled it if I could.

      Yeah, I think almost all posts in this thread were delivered in an untimely
      untimely. It was more than 12 hours before I got my own post back.

      Lotta
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1 3:44 AM
        At 11:13 AM 9/30/2006 , sisterscape wrote:
        >1. As I remember - I'm a little rusty, <center> is a block level
        >element and not allowed within <p>.
        >
        >2. It is also deprecated. Try using <p style="text-align: center;">
        >instead. Or better yet, don't do inline styles at all. Instead, create
        >a class and put it in a separate style sheet. sisterscape
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Thanks to you and all others for the replies.
        I should have validated before sending my original post.
        Results from : http://validator.w3.org/check are below.

        The complete line the first error refers to is :
        =======HTML===========
        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
        Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html
        xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

        I am not even sure how "=======HTML===========" ended up in the page.
        Does XHTML require similar tags to the <HTML> </HTML> tags?

        -Mike
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        " Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness
        and validity.

        1. Error Line 1 column 0: character "=" not allowed in prolog.

        =======HTML===========

        ?
        2. Error Line 24 column 89: element "center" undefined.

        ...t="480" title="" alt="" /><p><center>001_dolly_sods_2006.jpg
        (640x480; 41929

        You have used the element named above in your document, but the
        document type you are using does not define an element of that name. This
        error is often caused by:
        * incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document
        that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get the
        "<frameset>" element),
        * by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or
        "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired
        effect instead).
        * by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and
        elements must be all lower-case."

      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1 3:49 AM
          At 11:13 AM 9/30/2006 , sisterscape wrote:
          >1. As I remember - I'm a little rusty, <center> is a block level
          >element and not allowed within <p>.
          >
          >2. It is also deprecated. Try using <p style="text-align: center;">
          >instead. Or better yet, don't do inline styles at all. Instead, create
          >a class and put it in a separate style sheet. sisterscape
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Duh...
          I used "=======HTML===========" in my original post and then inadvertently
          copied it to the validator.
          -mb

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1 6:23 AM
            At 03:32 PM 9/30/2006 , you wrote:

            >.center {text-align:center;}
            >
            >with <p class="center">
            >
            >Lee
            =========

            Hi Lee,

            I could not get <p class="center"> to work.
            I added this: .center {text-align:center;} to the CSS.
            I also removed "text-align: left" from the Gallery DIV:
            div#gallery p {text-align: left;margin: 10px 0 10px 0;font: 100%/1.3
            Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif}
            My thinking was the Content DIV might be inheriting the left alignment from
            the Gallery rules.

            Any thoughts on this?
            I will post to CSS Discuss http://www.css-discuss.org/ if this goes not
            further here.