Re:Javascript vs PHP OT WAS: [Clip]

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2006
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      >Absalom said in answer to a question in a different thread on this list,
      >"What
      >you need is either Javascript - bad because most sensible users disable
      >uncontrollable code running let loose on their machines - or better PHP".
      >
      >My question: Why is PHP safer than Javascript?

      Absalom was referring to the user's safety, not yours (the server's). Since
      JS runs on the user's machine an evil site can do evil things or at least
      try to.

      >I'm about to begin using
      >Javascript on some of the pages in a website I maintain. I don't know PHP
      >code, but I'll learn it if (a) it has better security characteristics than
      >Javascript, and (b) If there is less chance that any of our users will block
      >it.

      They can't block PHP since it's server-side. It isn't visible to the
      browser. It depends on what you want to do, really. You can never rely on
      JS but it's fine for not important fluff, just as CSS. A site should be
      readable and work without both. JS can do things a server-side language
      can't and the opposite is even more true.