Re: *****SPAM***** [NH] Assigning password

  • Margaret Peloquin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
      Normally, this is done with some kind of script that is added to your web
      page. If you are looking for something simple but does not need really secure
      passwording you might find a javascript to do that. As an example, check out
      this site:
      http://javascript.internet.com/passwords/

      warrenguy2005 <warrenguy2005@...> said:

      > moderator's note: Apologies as this message was waiting for approval for a
      bit and wasn't noticed

      > I am having trouble trying to figure out how to put passwords on some
      > of my webpages so only certain people can view them. If this isn't
      > covered under the html coding then where can I find the answer to this?
      >

      > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
      http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

      === Margaret Peloquin, Head Librarian Eastview ===
      === Austin Community College, Austin, Texas ===
      === (512)223-5117 Fax: (512)223-5111 ===
      === http://library.austincc.edu ===
    • Lee Underwood
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
        This can't be done in that manner. You'll need to use the .htaccess
        file, if you're using Apache.

        Lee

        On 8/22/2006 09:32 PM, warrenguy2005 wrote:

        >moderator's note: Apologies as this message was waiting for approval
        >for a bit and wasn't noticed
        >
        >I am having trouble trying to figure out how to put passwords on some
        >of my webpages so only certain people can view them. If this isn't
        >covered under the html coding then where can I find the answer to this?
        >

        >CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
        >http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
          The only problem is that the JavaScript files (and others) can be
          viewed by others. Hence the warning on the page: "They are an
          elementary attempt to protect a site and should NOT be used to
          protect top secret information. They just keep the amateurs out. Pros
          can infiltrate such sites with these forms of protection."

          If the security is not real important, then their great. But if you
          require tight security, JavaScript will not provide it.

          (BTW, thanks for the plug, I manage that site for Jupitermedia. New
          scripts are always welcome [sorry, cheap plug].)

          Lee

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
            warrenguy2005 wrote:
            >I am having trouble trying to figure out how to put passwords on some
            >of my webpages so only certain people can view them. If this isn't
            >covered under the html coding then where can I find the answer to this?

            The server manual. It depends on the type of server you are on and what you
            have access to. As others already have said, you can provide a facade of
            security with JavaScript but it won't fool anyone who really wants in. If
            you are on an Apache server google ".htaccess password" or "Apache basic
            authentication". Add "tutorial" to the mix if you want a step by step guide.