Re: [NH] Browsers Lost Their Backgound Colors

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
      Hi Hugo, Dave, Jeff, Lotta, Others...

      Just a short PS to say that I also had to change the Colors tab
      in the Internet Options... for background color for when no page
      background is given in the html coding. It was set to black on
      gray, so I left the default text/font color black (when not
      specified in html coding), but changed the background color (that
      somehow got changed to gray) to white for when the html author
      does not specify a page background. I was not sure to post this
      on the OffTopic list, but figured there are many more people on
      the NoteTab HTML list than the OffTopic and you guys combined
      probably know a whole lot more than those of us on the OffTopic
      (for html/browser colors). No offense meant to my OffTopic buds,
      because you guys/gals know a whole lot of stuff too!!! ;)

      >> Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.
      >
      >What was even stranger is Mozilla browser displayed fine, but not
      >2 versions of NetScape and Firefox. Go figure...
      >
      >> For IE you can check whether "Ignore colors" in the
      >> Accessibility-section of the Internet options is causing this. If
      >> I turn this on I get what you describe.
      >
      >I tried checking it and un-checking, but no help. The only thing
      >I remember changing and have since went to the Windows default
      >was my Themes. But none of that help. The Media Center 2005 XP
      >has some nest themes and I was running Aquarium and now switched
      >to Space (after seeing if the Windows XP default would fix
      >things). Anyway, Jeff, while I was looking for setting on my Dell
      >Laptop for my display card, I clicked on Accessibility just for
      >grins, because I did not see any display card listed in a quick
      >glance. Well, on the Display tab in the Accessibility window, I
      >unchecked "Use High Contrast" which I do not remember checking,
      >but I think something else changed it, ie, a program, one of the
      >themes, etc. That fixed it, even the sizing problem. Weird! All
      >my browsers display properly now. Thanks for your all
      >suggestions, because they all pointed me in a direction to find
      >the setting. (I had to click on my Space theme again and Apply
      >again, but my browser colors still look good.)

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
      Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hugo Paulissen wrote:
        >Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.

        Yeah... Jody, this is farfetched, but have you installed a bossy firewall
        recently? I'm thinking if it has web-washing features, as they all seem to
        have nowadays, and it's misconfigured to wash away just about everything.
        IE and FF but not Mozilla sounds like something is recognizing common
        browsers. Do you have Proxymitron or some other thingamajig that filters
        web content?

        Lotta
      • Kathy Jungjohann
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
          In a moment of frustration I did a clean install of NoteTab Pro v4.95
          on my main computer (XP SP2) and it no longer treats view in browser
          the same: I prefer to have one browser window open and have each page
          I'm checking load into the current open window, rather than opening a
          new window for each document - as it now does. Then to top it all
          off, it doesn't refresh the page when I make a change and check it
          again, but instead I have to do a manual refresh. Any suggestions on
          how to solve this?

          So ... I put v4.95 on my laptop (also XP SP2) and I get an additional
          problem: IE does not recognize .shtml files as web pages but instead
          shows me only the source in the browser window. (I intentionally use
          IE as my main browser since it's the most commonly used browser.)
          Again, any suggestions?

          Cheers,
          Kathy
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
            Hi Lotta,

            >Hugo Paulissen wrote:
            >>Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.
            >
            >Yeah... Jody, this is farfetched, but have you installed a bossy
            >firewall recently? I'm thinking if it has web-washing features,
            >as they all seem to have nowadays, and it's misconfigured to wash
            >away just about everything. IE and FF but not Mozilla sounds like
            >something is recognizing common browsers. Do you have Proxymitron
            >or some other thingamajig that filters web content?

            I did finally get out of EzAntivirus and went to AVG which I
            like, but it has a major setback for me causing my Tooltips (hint
            popups over mouse pointer) not to work while running any email
            download program, even our beloved AsA utility that loaders email
            headers and tags spam for deletion at the server level. However,
            I believe the problem started after that, and, I guess you missed
            it but I found the problem was a setting in the Control Panel |
            Accessibility | Display tab | having the High Contrast feature
            checked. I don't remember checking it, but may have. Might be
            looking for a new freeware antivirus someday, not soon due to
            time.

            >Lotta
            >

            >CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Thanks!
            See ya in the funnies!
            http://www.clean-funnies.com

            notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org
          • microc@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
              Jody wrote:
              I hate to have to reload something like WinXP Media Center 2005
              and all the upgrades ....
              I just bought a Hewlett Packard laptop and discovered there are no system disks in the celophane bag.
              Will Microsoft send these to me on request? Or Helwett Packard? If so, where do I write?
              I want to be able to do a low level reformat if that ever becomes necessary.
              That happened to me once before with an older desktop computer.
              Thanks,
              Lew