Re: [NH] Browsers Lost Their Backgound Colors

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
      Hi Hugo, Dave, Jeff, Lotta, Others...

      >Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.

      What was even stranger is Mozilla browser displayed fine, but not
      2 versions of NetScape and Firefox. Go figure...

      >For IE you can check whether "Ignore colors" in the
      >Accessibility-section of the Internet options is causing this. If
      >I turn this on I get what you describe.

      I tried checking it and un-checking, but no help. The only thing
      I remember changing and have since went to the Windows default
      was my Themes. But none of that help. The Media Center 2005 XP
      has some nest themes and I was running Aquarium and now switched
      to Space (after seeing if the Windows XP default would fix
      things). Anyway, Jeff, while I was looking for setting on my Dell
      Laptop for my display card, I clicked on Accessibility just for
      grins, because I did not see any display card listed in a quick
      glance. Well, on the Display tab in the Accessibility window, I
      unchecked "Use High Contrast" which I do not remember checking,
      but I think something else changed it, ie, a program, one of the
      themes, etc. That fixed it, even the sizing problem. Weird! All
      my browsers display properly now. Thanks for your all
      suggestions, because they all pointed me in a direction to find
      the setting. (I had to click on my Space theme again and Apply
      again, but my browser colors still look good.

      I did upgrade my Skype recently which I need to downgrade,
      because it wants to connect to the Internet and I cannot find
      where to turn it off in any of the places to check like in
      Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit, etc.

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
      Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hi Hugo, Dave, Jeff, Lotta, Others...

        Just a short PS to say that I also had to change the Colors tab
        in the Internet Options... for background color for when no page
        background is given in the html coding. It was set to black on
        gray, so I left the default text/font color black (when not
        specified in html coding), but changed the background color (that
        somehow got changed to gray) to white for when the html author
        does not specify a page background. I was not sure to post this
        on the OffTopic list, but figured there are many more people on
        the NoteTab HTML list than the OffTopic and you guys combined
        probably know a whole lot more than those of us on the OffTopic
        (for html/browser colors). No offense meant to my OffTopic buds,
        because you guys/gals know a whole lot of stuff too!!! ;)

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hugo Paulissen wrote:
          >Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.

          Yeah... Jody, this is farfetched, but have you installed a bossy firewall
          recently? I'm thinking if it has web-washing features, as they all seem to
          have nowadays, and it's misconfigured to wash away just about everything.
          IE and FF but not Mozilla sounds like something is recognizing common
          browsers. Do you have Proxymitron or some other thingamajig that filters
          web content?

          Lotta
        • Kathy Jungjohann
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
            In a moment of frustration I did a clean install of NoteTab Pro v4.95
            on my main computer (XP SP2) and it no longer treats view in browser
            the same: I prefer to have one browser window open and have each page
            I'm checking load into the current open window, rather than opening a
            new window for each document - as it now does. Then to top it all
            off, it doesn't refresh the page when I make a change and check it
            again, but instead I have to do a manual refresh. Any suggestions on
            how to solve this?

            So ... I put v4.95 on my laptop (also XP SP2) and I get an additional
            problem: IE does not recognize .shtml files as web pages but instead
            shows me only the source in the browser window. (I intentionally use
            IE as my main browser since it's the most commonly used browser.)
            Again, any suggestions?

            Cheers,
            Kathy
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
              Hi Lotta,

              >Hugo Paulissen wrote:
              >>Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.
              >
              >Yeah... Jody, this is farfetched, but have you installed a bossy
              >firewall recently? I'm thinking if it has web-washing features,
              >as they all seem to have nowadays, and it's misconfigured to wash
              >away just about everything. IE and FF but not Mozilla sounds like
              >something is recognizing common browsers. Do you have Proxymitron
              >or some other thingamajig that filters web content?

              I did finally get out of EzAntivirus and went to AVG which I
              like, but it has a major setback for me causing my Tooltips (hint
              popups over mouse pointer) not to work while running any email
              download program, even our beloved AsA utility that loaders email
              headers and tags spam for deletion at the server level. However,
              I believe the problem started after that, and, I guess you missed
              it but I found the problem was a setting in the Control Panel |
              Accessibility | Display tab | having the High Contrast feature
              checked. I don't remember checking it, but may have. Might be
              looking for a new freeware antivirus someday, not soon due to
              time.

              >Lotta
              >

              >CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Thanks!
              See ya in the funnies!
              http://www.clean-funnies.com

              notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org
            • microc@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
                Jody wrote:
                I hate to have to reload something like WinXP Media Center 2005
                and all the upgrades ....
                I just bought a Hewlett Packard laptop and discovered there are no system disks in the celophane bag.
                Will Microsoft send these to me on request? Or Helwett Packard? If so, where do I write?
                I want to be able to do a low level reformat if that ever becomes necessary.
                That happened to me once before with an older desktop computer.
                Thanks,
                Lew