Browsers Lost Their Backgound Colors

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi All,

      My IE, IE shell browsers, Firefox, and maybe more seem to have
      lost all the html background colors. I looked in Internet Options
      to see if I used some sort of "Use my CSS" feature, but couldn't
      find anything. One page I checked looked correct in Mozilla.
      Anybody know where I can check to normal up?

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some! ;)
      http://clean-funnies.com
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hi Jody,

        >My IE, IE shell browsers, Firefox, and maybe more seem to have
        >lost all the html background colors. I looked in Internet Options
        >to see if I used some sort of "Use my CSS" feature, but couldn't
        >find anything. One page I checked looked correct in Mozilla.
        >Anybody know where I can check to normal up?

        Not sure what you mean. Is it the background color of the browser itself
        (what you see when no page is loaded or no background color is specified
        for the page? Is it a certain page or certain pages? All pages?

        If it's the browser's own background color it's at Internet Options ->
        General tab -> Colors button in IE.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hi Lotta,

          >>My IE, IE shell browsers, Firefox, and maybe more seem to have
          >>lost all the html background colors. I looked in Internet Options
          >>to see if I used some sort of "Use my CSS" feature, but couldn't
          >>find anything. One page I checked looked correct in Mozilla.
          >>Anybody know where I can check to normal up?
          >
          >Not sure what you mean. Is it the background color of the browser
          >itself (what you see when no page is loaded or no background
          >color is specified for the page? Is it a certain page or certain
          >pages? All pages?
          >
          >If it's the browser's own background color it's at Internet
          >Options -> General tab -> Colors button in IE.

          Thanks for the reply! No, it is not the browser GUI colors, but
          colors like inside table backgrounds, actual page backgrounds,
          and even background images. Also, the page sizes are not seeing
          the tags to make them a certain size as in the width. Take for
          instance http://www.fookes.com/products.php. The only color I
          see on it it the Fookes Software banner image and the gold color
          for the Info and price buttons (which are images) also. I do not
          see the blue background behind those image buttons, nor the blue
          left border, nor the pea green stripe at the top that says
          Commercial Software, nor the dark blue stripes background image
          at the top right, nor the light blue dotted background image on
          the right below the striped, nor the colors at the bottom.

          Two Mozilla family browsers do not show those and IE/plus all
          shells I have tested (Avant/NetCaptor). NetScape 7.2 does not
          display them, nor Firefox, but plain Mozilla (Mozilla 1.7.5
          Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
          Gecko/20041217) is the only one that displays the colors I
          mentioned on that page. This started happening a week or two ago
          and I may have installed a program or M$ update that caused it. I
          cannot think of anything I have changed to cause it.

          I hate to have to reload something like WinXP Media Center 2005
          and all the upgrades since SP2 again to fix the problem and then
          if it is a setting (which I sort of doubt since it is an all, but
          one browser thing) that it not fix it. Thanks for reading it all
          and any help you have to offer.

          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
          Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • dave
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
            Hi
            have you downloaded anything that changes the way CSS is handled ,I think
            there is a option in IE to turn off images I do not it included background
            though ,your video card has not died in some strange way try changing the
            color setting and see if there is a difference .
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            >>>My IE, IE shell browsers, Firefox, and maybe more seem to have
            >>>lost all the html background colors. I looked in Internet Options
            >>>to see if I used some sort of "Use my CSS" feature, but couldn't
            >>>find anything. One page I checked looked correct in Mozilla.
            >>>Anybody know where I can check to normal up?
            >>
            >>Not sure what you mean. Is it the background color of the browser
            >>itself (what you see when no page is loaded or no background
            >>color is specified for the page? Is it a certain page or certain
            >>pages? All pages?
            >>
            >>If it's the browser's own background color it's at Internet
            >>Options -> General tab -> Colors button in IE.
            >
            > Thanks for the reply! No, it is not the browser GUI colors, but
            > colors like inside table backgrounds, actual page backgrounds,
            > and even background images. Also, the page sizes are not seeing
            > the tags to make them a certain size as in the width. Take for
            > instance http://www.fookes.com/products.php. The only color I
            > see on it it the Fookes Software banner image and the gold color
            > for the Info and price buttons (which are images) also. I do not
            > see the blue background behind those image buttons, nor the blue
            > left border, nor the pea green stripe at the top that says
            > Commercial Software, nor the dark blue stripes background image
            > at the top right, nor the light blue dotted background image on
            > the right below the striped, nor the colors at the bottom.
            >
            > Two Mozilla family browsers do not show those and IE/plus all
            > shells I have tested (Avant/NetCaptor). NetScape 7.2 does not
            > display them, nor Firefox, but plain Mozilla (Mozilla 1.7.5
            > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5)
            > Gecko/20041217) is the only one that displays the colors I
            > mentioned on that page. This started happening a week or two ago
            > and I may have installed a program or M$ update that caused it. I
            > cannot think of anything I have changed to cause it.
            >
            > I hate to have to reload something like WinXP Media Center 2005
            > and all the upgrades since SP2 again to fix the problem and then
            > if it is a setting (which I sort of doubt since it is an all, but
            > one browser thing) that it not fix it. Thanks for reading it all
            > and any help you have to offer.
            >

            > Happy HTML'n!
            > Jody
            >
            > http://www.notetab.net
            > http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
            > Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
            > http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            >

            > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
              Jody,

              Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.

              For IE you can check whether "Ignore colors" in the
              Accessibility-section of the Internet options is causing this. If I turn
              this on I get what you describe.

              Hugo
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                Hi Hugo, Dave, Jeff, Lotta, Others...

                >Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.

                What was even stranger is Mozilla browser displayed fine, but not
                2 versions of NetScape and Firefox. Go figure...

                >For IE you can check whether "Ignore colors" in the
                >Accessibility-section of the Internet options is causing this. If
                >I turn this on I get what you describe.

                I tried checking it and un-checking, but no help. The only thing
                I remember changing and have since went to the Windows default
                was my Themes. But none of that help. The Media Center 2005 XP
                has some nest themes and I was running Aquarium and now switched
                to Space (after seeing if the Windows XP default would fix
                things). Anyway, Jeff, while I was looking for setting on my Dell
                Laptop for my display card, I clicked on Accessibility just for
                grins, because I did not see any display card listed in a quick
                glance. Well, on the Display tab in the Accessibility window, I
                unchecked "Use High Contrast" which I do not remember checking,
                but I think something else changed it, ie, a program, one of the
                themes, etc. That fixed it, even the sizing problem. Weird! All
                my browsers display properly now. Thanks for your all
                suggestions, because they all pointed me in a direction to find
                the setting. (I had to click on my Space theme again and Apply
                again, but my browser colors still look good.

                I did upgrade my Skype recently which I need to downgrade,
                because it wants to connect to the Internet and I cannot find
                where to turn it off in any of the places to check like in
                Startup, the program itself, Run in RegEdit, etc.

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                  Hi Hugo, Dave, Jeff, Lotta, Others...

                  Just a short PS to say that I also had to change the Colors tab
                  in the Internet Options... for background color for when no page
                  background is given in the html coding. It was set to black on
                  gray, so I left the default text/font color black (when not
                  specified in html coding), but changed the background color (that
                  somehow got changed to gray) to white for when the html author
                  does not specify a page background. I was not sure to post this
                  on the OffTopic list, but figured there are many more people on
                  the NoteTab HTML list than the OffTopic and you guys combined
                  probably know a whole lot more than those of us on the OffTopic
                  (for html/browser colors). No offense meant to my OffTopic buds,
                  because you guys/gals know a whole lot of stuff too!!! ;)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Hugo Paulissen wrote:
                    >Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.

                    Yeah... Jody, this is farfetched, but have you installed a bossy firewall
                    recently? I'm thinking if it has web-washing features, as they all seem to
                    have nowadays, and it's misconfigured to wash away just about everything.
                    IE and FF but not Mozilla sounds like something is recognizing common
                    browsers. Do you have Proxymitron or some other thingamajig that filters
                    web content?

                    Lotta
                  • Kathy Jungjohann
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
                      In a moment of frustration I did a clean install of NoteTab Pro v4.95
                      on my main computer (XP SP2) and it no longer treats view in browser
                      the same: I prefer to have one browser window open and have each page
                      I'm checking load into the current open window, rather than opening a
                      new window for each document - as it now does. Then to top it all
                      off, it doesn't refresh the page when I make a change and check it
                      again, but instead I have to do a manual refresh. Any suggestions on
                      how to solve this?

                      So ... I put v4.95 on my laptop (also XP SP2) and I get an additional
                      problem: IE does not recognize .shtml files as web pages but instead
                      shows me only the source in the browser window. (I intentionally use
                      IE as my main browser since it's the most commonly used browser.)
                      Again, any suggestions?

                      Cheers,
                      Kathy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
                        Hi Lotta,

                        >Hugo Paulissen wrote:
                        >>Strange that it both happens in Mozilla-browsers and in IE.
                        >
                        >Yeah... Jody, this is farfetched, but have you installed a bossy
                        >firewall recently? I'm thinking if it has web-washing features,
                        >as they all seem to have nowadays, and it's misconfigured to wash
                        >away just about everything. IE and FF but not Mozilla sounds like
                        >something is recognizing common browsers. Do you have Proxymitron
                        >or some other thingamajig that filters web content?

                        I did finally get out of EzAntivirus and went to AVG which I
                        like, but it has a major setback for me causing my Tooltips (hint
                        popups over mouse pointer) not to work while running any email
                        download program, even our beloved AsA utility that loaders email
                        headers and tags spam for deletion at the server level. However,
                        I believe the problem started after that, and, I guess you missed
                        it but I found the problem was a setting in the Control Panel |
                        Accessibility | Display tab | having the High Contrast feature
                        checked. I don't remember checking it, but may have. Might be
                        looking for a new freeware antivirus someday, not soon due to
                        time.

                        >Lotta
                        >

                        >CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Thanks!
                        See ya in the funnies!
                        http://www.clean-funnies.com

                        notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org
                      • microc@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 5, 2006
                          Jody wrote:
                          I hate to have to reload something like WinXP Media Center 2005
                          and all the upgrades ....
                          I just bought a Hewlett Packard laptop and discovered there are no system disks in the celophane bag.
                          Will Microsoft send these to me on request? Or Helwett Packard? If so, where do I write?
                          I want to be able to do a low level reformat if that ever becomes necessary.
                          That happened to me once before with an older desktop computer.
                          Thanks,
                          Lew