Re: [NH] NoteTab v5 - customizable syntax highlighting?

  • lm_hamilton
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 21 10:05 AM
      Something is not working right with my clip in NoteTab 5. I have not
      had a reason to use it until now, as I am doing more with Word Press
      and Joomla, and thus fewer pages from scratch.

      I need to better pinpoint the issue and see if I can change my clip
      code before we call it a bug. Eric also fixed how NoteTab works with
      Firefox and Mozilla browsers, to eliminate problems. So my work around
      for that should be obsolete.

      I'm going out of town next week, but I will see if I can finagle the
      time to figure this out later this afternoon or tonight.

      Larry Hamilton

      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

      > hiyawathen,
      >
      > NoteTab 5.0 does not support custom syntax highlighting. To
      implement it
      > requires a new input control. That would have required a lot more work
      > and further delayed NoteTab 5.0. As it is, the private beta testing
      > group has been working on it since the beginning of April, just to help
      > Eric get it to where it is now. As I understand it, changing the input
      > control is such a big project, we might not get it for a long time.
      >
      > As a work around, for PHP, I built a clip to send PHP code to the
      > php.exe and then to a browser, to see the syntax highlighting. This
      > really helps with spotting typos, etc. Something similar could be done
      > with other languages with this feature. The clip I built was with
      > NoteTab 4.95, I will have to test and make sure it still works with
      5.0.
      > I will post back to the list once I have tested, and post a fix, if any.
      >
      > I realize this is a hack, but NoteTab is the best editor if you have to
      > use Windows. It also works well in Linux using Wine or very well with a
      > Windows emulator.
      >
      > Here is the link to my NoteTab page, and the link to my PHP syntax
      > highlighting clip.
      >
      > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/
      >
      > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/notetab.php
      >
      > Larry Hamilton
      > Kairos Computer Solutions
      > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
      >

      > hiyawathen wrote:
      > > First of all...awesome product!!! I have been reviewing the NoteTab
      > > documentation and am thinking of purchasing.
      > >
      > > Second, I was looking through NoteTab Pro v5.0 beta 2 and I don't see
      > > where I will be able to create custom syntax highlighting.
      > >
      > > Did I miss it? Can you give information on where the custom syntax
      > > highlighting is and how to use it? I am hoping to be able to set up
      > > the custom syntax highlighting to indicate what text should be
      > > considered as ASP code, PHP code, etc...etc.
      > >
      > > What would be REALLY COOL is if the custom syntax highlighting could
      > > be a different color from the HTML syntax highlighting. Perhaps
      color
      > > categorized by code type (e.g. Blue is HTML, Purple for ASP, Pink for
      > > PHP, etc..etc)
      > >
      > > Thanks :)

    • hiyawathen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 26 11:58 PM
        Larry, thanks for the insight, I tweaked your example clip to work
        with a generic syntax highlighter. The clip grabs selected text from
        document and asks for language type and then builds a php file via
        text appending notetab function which is then opened in an url off the
        root of my apache service. The text is colorized based on the
        language selected during clip wizard inquiry. Works pretty slick!
        Let me know if you would like more info.

        Thanks
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 28 7:53 PM
          hiawathen,

          I am glad I could help.

          I am always interested in new tips & tricks with NoteTab or any other
          program.

          Sorry for the delay in a reply, I just got back home after a week long
          trip and very limited web access.

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions

          hiyawathen wrote:
          > Larry, thanks for the insight, I tweaked your example clip to work
          > with a generic syntax highlighter. The clip grabs selected text from
          > document and asks for language type and then builds a php file via
          > text appending notetab function which is then opened in an url off the
          > root of my apache service. The text is colorized based on the
          > language selected during clip wizard inquiry. Works pretty slick!
          > Let me know if you would like more info.
          >
          > Thanks
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 13 , May 23, 2007
            Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
            http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

            Thanks,
            -Mike

            ----------
            Check it out:
            www.EpicRoadTrips.us

            ~~~

            ~~~

          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 13 , May 23, 2007
              Can anyone tell me why the linked images are returning an error?
              http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

              Thanks,
              -Mike

              ----------
              Check it out:
              www.EpicRoadTrips.us

              ~~~

              ~~~

            • Corl DeLuna
              Message 6 of 13 , May 23, 2007
                Hi Mike,

                I don't know if this will help, but empty spaces in file names are replaced
                with %20, and I think it can increase link breakage. I'd replace the spaces
                in the file names with a - like American-Falls.jpg, that way your links will
                will be written just like you named them.

                Hope this helps,
                Corl

                _____

                Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                http://epicroadtrip <http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/>
                s.us/2007/spring/george/

                Thanks,
                -Mike

              • fw7oaks
                Message 7 of 13 , May 23, 2007
                  --- Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

                  > Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                  > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

                  Well the browser is looking for

                  http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Bay%20One.jpg

                  and the images are at

                  http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Bay%20One.JPG

                  Which I suggest means that the server's operating system is file name
                  case sensitive (Linux perhaps). Change the lower case jpg to JPG and
                  the problem will go away

                  fw
                • Mike Breiding
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 23, 2007
                    At 07:31 PM 5/23/2007 , fw7oaks wrote:
                    > > Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                    > > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/
                    > >
                    >Well the browser is looking for
                    >
                    >http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Ba
                    >y%20One.jpg
                    >
                    >and the images are at
                    >
                    >http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Ba
                    >y%20One.JPG
                    >
                    >Which I suggest means that the server's operating system is file name
                    >case sensitive (Linux perhaps). Change the lower case jpg to JPG and
                    >the problem will go away fw

                    That did the trick. I am not sure why the case was changed in the extension.

                    thanks,
                    -Mike

                  • Chris Dart
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 24, 2007
                      Nice pictures - I see no errors Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE 7.0.5730 !

                      Regards

                      Chris Dart
                      Mobile: +31 652 460 610

                      ________________________________

                      Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                      http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/ <http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/>

                      Thanks,
                      -Mike

                    • Mike Breiding
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 24, 2007
                        At 03:07 AM 5/24/2007 , you wrote:
                        >Nice pictures - I see no errors Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE 7.0.5730 !
                        > Regards Chris Dart

                        Hi Chris,
                        Got them fixed.

                        Thanks,
                        -Mike

                      • Lee Underwood
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 24, 2007
                          On 5/23/2007 08:02 PM, Mike Breiding wrote:

                          >That did the trick. I am not sure why the case was changed in the extension.
                          >
                          >thanks,
                          >-Mike

                          I have that same problem myself. I've never figured it out, though.

                          Lee