Re: [NH] NoteTab v5 - customizable syntax highlighting?

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
      hiyawathen,

      NoteTab 5.0 does not support custom syntax highlighting. To implement it
      requires a new input control. That would have required a lot more work
      and further delayed NoteTab 5.0. As it is, the private beta testing
      group has been working on it since the beginning of April, just to help
      Eric get it to where it is now. As I understand it, changing the input
      control is such a big project, we might not get it for a long time.

      As a work around, for PHP, I built a clip to send PHP code to the
      php.exe and then to a browser, to see the syntax highlighting. This
      really helps with spotting typos, etc. Something similar could be done
      with other languages with this feature. The clip I built was with
      NoteTab 4.95, I will have to test and make sure it still works with 5.0.
      I will post back to the list once I have tested, and post a fix, if any.

      I realize this is a hack, but NoteTab is the best editor if you have to
      use Windows. It also works well in Linux using Wine or very well with a
      Windows emulator.

      Here is the link to my NoteTab page, and the link to my PHP syntax
      highlighting clip.

      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/

      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/notetab.php

      Larry Hamilton
      Kairos Computer Solutions
      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      hiyawathen wrote:
      > First of all...awesome product!!! I have been reviewing the NoteTab
      > documentation and am thinking of purchasing.
      >
      > Second, I was looking through NoteTab Pro v5.0 beta 2 and I don't see
      > where I will be able to create custom syntax highlighting.
      >
      > Did I miss it? Can you give information on where the custom syntax
      > highlighting is and how to use it? I am hoping to be able to set up
      > the custom syntax highlighting to indicate what text should be
      > considered as ASP code, PHP code, etc...etc.
      >
      > What would be REALLY COOL is if the custom syntax highlighting could
      > be a different color from the HTML syntax highlighting. Perhaps color
      > categorized by code type (e.g. Blue is HTML, Purple for ASP, Pink for
      > PHP, etc..etc)
      >
      > Thanks :)
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
        Something is not working right with my clip in NoteTab 5. I have not
        had a reason to use it until now, as I am doing more with Word Press
        and Joomla, and thus fewer pages from scratch.

        I need to better pinpoint the issue and see if I can change my clip
        code before we call it a bug. Eric also fixed how NoteTab works with
        Firefox and Mozilla browsers, to eliminate problems. So my work around
        for that should be obsolete.

        I'm going out of town next week, but I will see if I can finagle the
        time to figure this out later this afternoon or tonight.

        Larry Hamilton

        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

        > hiyawathen,
        >
        > NoteTab 5.0 does not support custom syntax highlighting. To
        implement it
        > requires a new input control. That would have required a lot more work
        > and further delayed NoteTab 5.0. As it is, the private beta testing
        > group has been working on it since the beginning of April, just to help
        > Eric get it to where it is now. As I understand it, changing the input
        > control is such a big project, we might not get it for a long time.
        >
        > As a work around, for PHP, I built a clip to send PHP code to the
        > php.exe and then to a browser, to see the syntax highlighting. This
        > really helps with spotting typos, etc. Something similar could be done
        > with other languages with this feature. The clip I built was with
        > NoteTab 4.95, I will have to test and make sure it still works with
        5.0.
        > I will post back to the list once I have tested, and post a fix, if any.
        >
        > I realize this is a hack, but NoteTab is the best editor if you have to
        > use Windows. It also works well in Linux using Wine or very well with a
        > Windows emulator.
        >
        > Here is the link to my NoteTab page, and the link to my PHP syntax
        > highlighting clip.
        >
        > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/
        >
        > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/notetab.php
        >
        > Larry Hamilton
        > Kairos Computer Solutions
        > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
        >

        > hiyawathen wrote:
        > > First of all...awesome product!!! I have been reviewing the NoteTab
        > > documentation and am thinking of purchasing.
        > >
        > > Second, I was looking through NoteTab Pro v5.0 beta 2 and I don't see
        > > where I will be able to create custom syntax highlighting.
        > >
        > > Did I miss it? Can you give information on where the custom syntax
        > > highlighting is and how to use it? I am hoping to be able to set up
        > > the custom syntax highlighting to indicate what text should be
        > > considered as ASP code, PHP code, etc...etc.
        > >
        > > What would be REALLY COOL is if the custom syntax highlighting could
        > > be a different color from the HTML syntax highlighting. Perhaps
        color
        > > categorized by code type (e.g. Blue is HTML, Purple for ASP, Pink for
        > > PHP, etc..etc)
        > >
        > > Thanks :)

      • hiyawathen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26, 2006
          Larry, thanks for the insight, I tweaked your example clip to work
          with a generic syntax highlighter. The clip grabs selected text from
          document and asks for language type and then builds a php file via
          text appending notetab function which is then opened in an url off the
          root of my apache service. The text is colorized based on the
          language selected during clip wizard inquiry. Works pretty slick!
          Let me know if you would like more info.

          Thanks
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 28, 2006
            hiawathen,

            I am glad I could help.

            I am always interested in new tips & tricks with NoteTab or any other
            program.

            Sorry for the delay in a reply, I just got back home after a week long
            trip and very limited web access.

            Larry Hamilton
            Kairos Computer Solutions

            hiyawathen wrote:
            > Larry, thanks for the insight, I tweaked your example clip to work
            > with a generic syntax highlighter. The clip grabs selected text from
            > document and asks for language type and then builds a php file via
            > text appending notetab function which is then opened in an url off the
            > root of my apache service. The text is colorized based on the
            > language selected during clip wizard inquiry. Works pretty slick!
            > Let me know if you would like more info.
            >
            > Thanks
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 13 , May 23, 2007
              Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
              http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

              Thanks,
              -Mike

              ----------
              Check it out:
              www.EpicRoadTrips.us

              ~~~

              ~~~

            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 13 , May 23, 2007
                Can anyone tell me why the linked images are returning an error?
                http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

                Thanks,
                -Mike

                ----------
                Check it out:
                www.EpicRoadTrips.us

                ~~~

                ~~~

              • Corl DeLuna
                Message 7 of 13 , May 23, 2007
                  Hi Mike,

                  I don't know if this will help, but empty spaces in file names are replaced
                  with %20, and I think it can increase link breakage. I'd replace the spaces
                  in the file names with a - like American-Falls.jpg, that way your links will
                  will be written just like you named them.

                  Hope this helps,
                  Corl

                  _____

                  Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                  http://epicroadtrip <http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/>
                  s.us/2007/spring/george/

                  Thanks,
                  -Mike

                • fw7oaks
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 23, 2007
                    --- Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

                    > Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                    > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

                    Well the browser is looking for

                    http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Bay%20One.jpg

                    and the images are at

                    http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Bay%20One.JPG

                    Which I suggest means that the server's operating system is file name
                    case sensitive (Linux perhaps). Change the lower case jpg to JPG and
                    the problem will go away

                    fw
                  • Mike Breiding
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 23, 2007
                      At 07:31 PM 5/23/2007 , fw7oaks wrote:
                      > > Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                      > > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/
                      > >
                      >Well the browser is looking for
                      >
                      >http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Ba
                      >y%20One.jpg
                      >
                      >and the images are at
                      >
                      >http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Ba
                      >y%20One.JPG
                      >
                      >Which I suggest means that the server's operating system is file name
                      >case sensitive (Linux perhaps). Change the lower case jpg to JPG and
                      >the problem will go away fw

                      That did the trick. I am not sure why the case was changed in the extension.

                      thanks,
                      -Mike

                    • Chris Dart
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 24, 2007
                        Nice pictures - I see no errors Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE 7.0.5730 !

                        Regards

                        Chris Dart
                        Mobile: +31 652 460 610

                        ________________________________

                        Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                        http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/ <http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/>

                        Thanks,
                        -Mike

                      • Mike Breiding
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 24, 2007
                          At 03:07 AM 5/24/2007 , you wrote:
                          >Nice pictures - I see no errors Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE 7.0.5730 !
                          > Regards Chris Dart

                          Hi Chris,
                          Got them fixed.

                          Thanks,
                          -Mike

                        • Lee Underwood
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 24, 2007
                            On 5/23/2007 08:02 PM, Mike Breiding wrote:

                            >That did the trick. I am not sure why the case was changed in the extension.
                            >
                            >thanks,
                            >-Mike

                            I have that same problem myself. I've never figured it out, though.

                            Lee