NoteTab v5 - customizable syntax highlighting?

  • hiyawathen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 20, 2006
      First of all...awesome product!!! I have been reviewing the NoteTab
      documentation and am thinking of purchasing.

      Second, I was looking through NoteTab Pro v5.0 beta 2 and I don't see
      where I will be able to create custom syntax highlighting.

      Did I miss it? Can you give information on where the custom syntax
      highlighting is and how to use it? I am hoping to be able to set up
      the custom syntax highlighting to indicate what text should be
      considered as ASP code, PHP code, etc...etc.

      What would be REALLY COOL is if the custom syntax highlighting could
      be a different color from the HTML syntax highlighting. Perhaps color
      categorized by code type (e.g. Blue is HTML, Purple for ASP, Pink for
      PHP, etc..etc)

      Thanks :)
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
        hiyawathen,

        NoteTab 5.0 does not support custom syntax highlighting. To implement it
        requires a new input control. That would have required a lot more work
        and further delayed NoteTab 5.0. As it is, the private beta testing
        group has been working on it since the beginning of April, just to help
        Eric get it to where it is now. As I understand it, changing the input
        control is such a big project, we might not get it for a long time.

        As a work around, for PHP, I built a clip to send PHP code to the
        php.exe and then to a browser, to see the syntax highlighting. This
        really helps with spotting typos, etc. Something similar could be done
        with other languages with this feature. The clip I built was with
        NoteTab 4.95, I will have to test and make sure it still works with 5.0.
        I will post back to the list once I have tested, and post a fix, if any.

        I realize this is a hack, but NoteTab is the best editor if you have to
        use Windows. It also works well in Linux using Wine or very well with a
        Windows emulator.

        Here is the link to my NoteTab page, and the link to my PHP syntax
        highlighting clip.

        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/

        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/notetab.php

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        hiyawathen wrote:
        > First of all...awesome product!!! I have been reviewing the NoteTab
        > documentation and am thinking of purchasing.
        >
        > Second, I was looking through NoteTab Pro v5.0 beta 2 and I don't see
        > where I will be able to create custom syntax highlighting.
        >
        > Did I miss it? Can you give information on where the custom syntax
        > highlighting is and how to use it? I am hoping to be able to set up
        > the custom syntax highlighting to indicate what text should be
        > considered as ASP code, PHP code, etc...etc.
        >
        > What would be REALLY COOL is if the custom syntax highlighting could
        > be a different color from the HTML syntax highlighting. Perhaps color
        > categorized by code type (e.g. Blue is HTML, Purple for ASP, Pink for
        > PHP, etc..etc)
        >
        > Thanks :)
      • lm_hamilton
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
          Something is not working right with my clip in NoteTab 5. I have not
          had a reason to use it until now, as I am doing more with Word Press
          and Joomla, and thus fewer pages from scratch.

          I need to better pinpoint the issue and see if I can change my clip
          code before we call it a bug. Eric also fixed how NoteTab works with
          Firefox and Mozilla browsers, to eliminate problems. So my work around
          for that should be obsolete.

          I'm going out of town next week, but I will see if I can finagle the
          time to figure this out later this afternoon or tonight.

          Larry Hamilton

          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

          > hiyawathen,
          >
          > NoteTab 5.0 does not support custom syntax highlighting. To
          implement it
          > requires a new input control. That would have required a lot more work
          > and further delayed NoteTab 5.0. As it is, the private beta testing
          > group has been working on it since the beginning of April, just to help
          > Eric get it to where it is now. As I understand it, changing the input
          > control is such a big project, we might not get it for a long time.
          >
          > As a work around, for PHP, I built a clip to send PHP code to the
          > php.exe and then to a browser, to see the syntax highlighting. This
          > really helps with spotting typos, etc. Something similar could be done
          > with other languages with this feature. The clip I built was with
          > NoteTab 4.95, I will have to test and make sure it still works with
          5.0.
          > I will post back to the list once I have tested, and post a fix, if any.
          >
          > I realize this is a hack, but NoteTab is the best editor if you have to
          > use Windows. It also works well in Linux using Wine or very well with a
          > Windows emulator.
          >
          > Here is the link to my NoteTab page, and the link to my PHP syntax
          > highlighting clip.
          >
          > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/
          >
          > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/notetab.php
          >
          > Larry Hamilton
          > Kairos Computer Solutions
          > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          > Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          >

          > hiyawathen wrote:
          > > First of all...awesome product!!! I have been reviewing the NoteTab
          > > documentation and am thinking of purchasing.
          > >
          > > Second, I was looking through NoteTab Pro v5.0 beta 2 and I don't see
          > > where I will be able to create custom syntax highlighting.
          > >
          > > Did I miss it? Can you give information on where the custom syntax
          > > highlighting is and how to use it? I am hoping to be able to set up
          > > the custom syntax highlighting to indicate what text should be
          > > considered as ASP code, PHP code, etc...etc.
          > >
          > > What would be REALLY COOL is if the custom syntax highlighting could
          > > be a different color from the HTML syntax highlighting. Perhaps
          color
          > > categorized by code type (e.g. Blue is HTML, Purple for ASP, Pink for
          > > PHP, etc..etc)
          > >
          > > Thanks :)

        • hiyawathen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26, 2006
            Larry, thanks for the insight, I tweaked your example clip to work
            with a generic syntax highlighter. The clip grabs selected text from
            document and asks for language type and then builds a php file via
            text appending notetab function which is then opened in an url off the
            root of my apache service. The text is colorized based on the
            language selected during clip wizard inquiry. Works pretty slick!
            Let me know if you would like more info.

            Thanks
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 28, 2006
              hiawathen,

              I am glad I could help.

              I am always interested in new tips & tricks with NoteTab or any other
              program.

              Sorry for the delay in a reply, I just got back home after a week long
              trip and very limited web access.

              Larry Hamilton
              Kairos Computer Solutions

              hiyawathen wrote:
              > Larry, thanks for the insight, I tweaked your example clip to work
              > with a generic syntax highlighter. The clip grabs selected text from
              > document and asks for language type and then builds a php file via
              > text appending notetab function which is then opened in an url off the
              > root of my apache service. The text is colorized based on the
              > language selected during clip wizard inquiry. Works pretty slick!
              > Let me know if you would like more info.
              >
              > Thanks
            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 13 , May 23 2:43 PM
                Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

                Thanks,
                -Mike

                ----------
                Check it out:
                www.EpicRoadTrips.us

                ~~~

                ~~~

              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 13 , May 23 4:08 PM
                  Can anyone tell me why the linked images are returning an error?
                  http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

                  Thanks,
                  -Mike

                  ----------
                  Check it out:
                  www.EpicRoadTrips.us

                  ~~~

                  ~~~

                • Corl DeLuna
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 23 4:27 PM
                    Hi Mike,

                    I don't know if this will help, but empty spaces in file names are replaced
                    with %20, and I think it can increase link breakage. I'd replace the spaces
                    in the file names with a - like American-Falls.jpg, that way your links will
                    will be written just like you named them.

                    Hope this helps,
                    Corl

                    _____

                    Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                    http://epicroadtrip <http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/>
                    s.us/2007/spring/george/

                    Thanks,
                    -Mike

                  • fw7oaks
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 23 4:31 PM
                      --- Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <mike@...> wrote:

                      > Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                      > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/

                      Well the browser is looking for

                      http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Bay%20One.jpg

                      and the images are at

                      http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Bay%20One.JPG

                      Which I suggest means that the server's operating system is file name
                      case sensitive (Linux perhaps). Change the lower case jpg to JPG and
                      the problem will go away

                      fw
                    • Mike Breiding
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 23 5:02 PM
                        At 07:31 PM 5/23/2007 , fw7oaks wrote:
                        > > Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                        > > http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/
                        > >
                        >Well the browser is looking for
                        >
                        >http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Ba
                        >y%20One.jpg
                        >
                        >and the images are at
                        >
                        >http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/hres/George%20at%20Georgian%20Ba
                        >y%20One.JPG
                        >
                        >Which I suggest means that the server's operating system is file name
                        >case sensitive (Linux perhaps). Change the lower case jpg to JPG and
                        >the problem will go away fw

                        That did the trick. I am not sure why the case was changed in the extension.

                        thanks,
                        -Mike

                      • Chris Dart
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 24 12:07 AM
                          Nice pictures - I see no errors Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE 7.0.5730 !

                          Regards

                          Chris Dart
                          Mobile: +31 652 460 610

                          ________________________________

                          Can anyone tell me why the linked images returning an error?
                          http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/ <http://epicroadtrips.us/2007/spring/george/>

                          Thanks,
                          -Mike

                        • Mike Breiding
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 24 2:53 AM
                            At 03:07 AM 5/24/2007 , you wrote:
                            >Nice pictures - I see no errors Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE 7.0.5730 !
                            > Regards Chris Dart

                            Hi Chris,
                            Got them fixed.

                            Thanks,
                            -Mike

                          • Lee Underwood
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 24 6:05 AM
                              On 5/23/2007 08:02 PM, Mike Breiding wrote:

                              >That did the trick. I am not sure why the case was changed in the extension.
                              >
                              >thanks,
                              >-Mike

                              I have that same problem myself. I've never figured it out, though.

                              Lee