Re: [NH] NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta #2 available

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
      At 05:14 PM 7/20/2006 , you wrote:
      >My main question (which doubles as a suggestion for the marketing of the
      >new version) is:
      >
      >What are the major new features? Meaning, what is there to entice an
      >existing user to upgrade?

      I second that !

      How about sending out a list of the "New Features" .
      I am by no means a power user, but I would like to know more.

      -Mike

    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
        Hi Marcelo and Mike,

        >> My main question (which doubles as a suggestion for the marketing of the
        >> new version) is:
        >>
        >> What are the major new features? Meaning, what is there to entice an
        >> existing user to upgrade?
        >
        > I second that !

        Here's from the latest Whatsnew.txt file...

        Changes in Version 5.0
        =======================

        * Added full support for running NoteTab under multi-user and network
        environments.
        * Can be run reliably from a user "Limited Account".
        * Improved user-interface appearance under Windows XP.
        * Improved memory usage and processing speed.
        * Improved conversion between HTML and plain-text format.
        * Added new print engine with Print Preview tool.
        * NoteTab Pro now supports line lengths up to a theoretical limit of 2 GB.
        * Improved Undo feature in NoteTab Pro.
        * Improved opening files through the Windows Shell and Send To feature.
        * Replaced regex engine with a powerful new one that is based on PCRE
        (Perl 5 compatible).
        * All core libraries have been rewritten for improved reliability and
        compatibility.
        * Added support for IntelliComplete Server (www.flashpeak.com).
        * Improved "Go to Hyperlink" function to support opening email addresses.
        * Removed redundant info box with Replace dialog when no more
        occurrences found.
        * Dot at start of filename is no longer treated as extension delimiter.
        * Fixed issue opening documents with very long fully qualified filenames
        through Windows Explorer.
        * Fixed issue with folder being locked (can't rename or delete) after
        NoteTab opens a file from it.
        * Fixed issue opening HTML documents in Firefox.
        * Registered version succesfully tested under Wine.
        * Many other minor improvements and bug fixes.
        * Revised license pricing.
        * Updated documentation.

        Clip-code additions and improvements:
        -------------------------------------

        New predefined Clip variable:
        ^%DOLLAR% = Dollar character ($)

        ^$GetDocMatchAll("Pattern"[;SubPatternId])$
        Finds all matching strings based on the supplied regex pattern.
        Optionally specify a subpattern value between 1 and 65536. Use the
        ^!SetListDelimiter command to define how matches are separated in the
        resulting string.
        Example that collects all URLs in a Web page:
        ^!Set %NewVariable%=^$GetDocMatchAll("(?s)<a.+?href\s*?=\s*?"(.*?)"";1)$

        ^$GetReSubStrings$
        The above function is best used together with ^!SetArray. It extracts
        all Substrings from a regex search after using ^!Find. Use the
        ^!SetListDelimiter command to define how matches are separated in the
        resulting string. Example:
        ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$

        ^$IsOnline$
        Returns True if NoteTab detects a connection to the Internet.

        ^$GetDataPath$
        Returns the folder where NoteTab stores user settings and data.

        ^$GetLibraryFileName$
        Returns the fully qualified filename of the current Clipbook library.

        ^$GetLibraryUserPath$
        Returns the folder where NoteTab stores user-modified libraries.

        ^$GetLibraryPath(LibraryName)$
        Added support for optional parameter that causes the function to return
        the location of the specified library. The following example returns the
        location of the current library:
        ^$GetLibraryPath(^$GetLibraryName$)$

        ^$IsNumber(Value)$ improved to support negative and decimal values.

        ^!Find and ^!Replace improved to support selection of regex subpatterns.

        Syntax Changes from Previous Regex Engine
        There are significant differences compared to the previous regex syntax
        used in earlier versions of NoteTab. The most notable ones are listed below:

        \n for newline (hex 0A); before it was hex 0D 0A. Replace \n with \r\n
        \l and \p - no longer used

        Tagged Matches:
        Replace { } with ( )

        Replace tokens:
        & no longer used; replace with $0
        \1 to \9 meaning changed; replace with $1 to $9

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/