NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta #2 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta #2 is now available for download. As before, there
      are two packaged versions of this beta release. One with the
      spell-checker dictionary and thesaurus, and the other smaller one
      without these files:

      NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta with dictionaries (size: 3,747 KB)
      http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/NotePro5_Beta2_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 5.0 beta NO dictionaries (size: 2,535 KB)
      http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/NotePro5_NdBeta2_Setup.exe

      If you have already installed the first public beta, I recommend that
      you uninstall it before running the Setup program. This ensures that you
      will have all the latest files copied to your NoteTab 5 program folder.

      This update fixes the following issues found since the previous release:

      * The Utilities.clb and SampleCode.clb have been updated to correct some
      minor errors.

      * Fixed an issue under Windows XP64 that produced document tabs without
      captions.

      * Question dialog boxes now beep if option allows sound (under XP, the
      Question sound isn't assigned - go figure).

      * Fixed issue with garbage text in display when very long lines are
      scrolled horizontally.

      * Regex pattern errors are now displayed as meaningful messages.

      * ^$StrSort has been modified to do case sorting just like the Sort
      command available through the NoteTab menu.

      * Improved the ^$GetDocMatchAll and ^$GetReSubStrings$ Clip functions,
      which now use the delimiter defined by ^!SetListDelimiter. As a result,
      results can now be reliably assigned to an array variable.

      * Added a new Clip function: ^$GetLibraryFileName$
      Returns the fully qualified filename of the current Clipbook library.
      Can be used with ^$GetLibraryPath(^$GetLibraryFileName$)$ to extract the
      corresponding path name.

      * Updated Help files. Added the Regex.chm Help file with detailed
      information about the PCRE syntax. Replaces the Regex.txt file available
      in the previous release.

      Please send us feedback if you encounter any issues. If all goes well,
      we hope to release the final version before July 26. Thanks for testing!

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
        My main question (which doubles as a suggestion for the marketing of the
        new version) is:

        What are the major new features? Meaning, what is there to entice an
        existing user to upgrade?

        I found two new ones, but they might not even be the most important ones
        for some users:

        - New regexp engine -- apparently more powerful and closer to the syntax
        used in Perl. I didn't test it yet, but I'm hoping that it will be also
        faster and able to process larger find & replace requests.

        - Support for working under a "limited user" account -- that is, it no
        longer needs to have writing rights to the Notetab program folder.

        That's besides some old known bugs that have been fixed...

        Regarding the new regexp engine, two things I would like to see in the
        final version:

        1. Besides the full documentation about the new engine, a shorter
        document highlighting the DIFFERENCES in syntax from the old engine to
        the new.
        2. I didn't check if it's even needed, but, if there's stuff in the old
        regexp syntax that would have a different meaning in the new engine,
        some sort of help converting clips would be very nice -- a conversion
        guide at least, maybe a converter feature (implemented as a clip?) if
        feasible.

        MCB
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
          At 05:14 PM 7/20/2006 , you wrote:
          >My main question (which doubles as a suggestion for the marketing of the
          >new version) is:
          >
          >What are the major new features? Meaning, what is there to entice an
          >existing user to upgrade?

          I second that !

          How about sending out a list of the "New Features" .
          I am by no means a power user, but I would like to know more.

          -Mike

        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
            Hi Marcelo and Mike,

            >> My main question (which doubles as a suggestion for the marketing of the
            >> new version) is:
            >>
            >> What are the major new features? Meaning, what is there to entice an
            >> existing user to upgrade?
            >
            > I second that !

            Here's from the latest Whatsnew.txt file...

            Changes in Version 5.0
            =======================

            * Added full support for running NoteTab under multi-user and network
            environments.
            * Can be run reliably from a user "Limited Account".
            * Improved user-interface appearance under Windows XP.
            * Improved memory usage and processing speed.
            * Improved conversion between HTML and plain-text format.
            * Added new print engine with Print Preview tool.
            * NoteTab Pro now supports line lengths up to a theoretical limit of 2 GB.
            * Improved Undo feature in NoteTab Pro.
            * Improved opening files through the Windows Shell and Send To feature.
            * Replaced regex engine with a powerful new one that is based on PCRE
            (Perl 5 compatible).
            * All core libraries have been rewritten for improved reliability and
            compatibility.
            * Added support for IntelliComplete Server (www.flashpeak.com).
            * Improved "Go to Hyperlink" function to support opening email addresses.
            * Removed redundant info box with Replace dialog when no more
            occurrences found.
            * Dot at start of filename is no longer treated as extension delimiter.
            * Fixed issue opening documents with very long fully qualified filenames
            through Windows Explorer.
            * Fixed issue with folder being locked (can't rename or delete) after
            NoteTab opens a file from it.
            * Fixed issue opening HTML documents in Firefox.
            * Registered version succesfully tested under Wine.
            * Many other minor improvements and bug fixes.
            * Revised license pricing.
            * Updated documentation.

            Clip-code additions and improvements:
            -------------------------------------

            New predefined Clip variable:
            ^%DOLLAR% = Dollar character ($)

            ^$GetDocMatchAll("Pattern"[;SubPatternId])$
            Finds all matching strings based on the supplied regex pattern.
            Optionally specify a subpattern value between 1 and 65536. Use the
            ^!SetListDelimiter command to define how matches are separated in the
            resulting string.
            Example that collects all URLs in a Web page:
            ^!Set %NewVariable%=^$GetDocMatchAll("(?s)<a.+?href\s*?=\s*?"(.*?)"";1)$

            ^$GetReSubStrings$
            The above function is best used together with ^!SetArray. It extracts
            all Substrings from a regex search after using ^!Find. Use the
            ^!SetListDelimiter command to define how matches are separated in the
            resulting string. Example:
            ^!SetArray %Array%=^$GetReSubStrings$

            ^$IsOnline$
            Returns True if NoteTab detects a connection to the Internet.

            ^$GetDataPath$
            Returns the folder where NoteTab stores user settings and data.

            ^$GetLibraryFileName$
            Returns the fully qualified filename of the current Clipbook library.

            ^$GetLibraryUserPath$
            Returns the folder where NoteTab stores user-modified libraries.

            ^$GetLibraryPath(LibraryName)$
            Added support for optional parameter that causes the function to return
            the location of the specified library. The following example returns the
            location of the current library:
            ^$GetLibraryPath(^$GetLibraryName$)$

            ^$IsNumber(Value)$ improved to support negative and decimal values.

            ^!Find and ^!Replace improved to support selection of regex subpatterns.

            Syntax Changes from Previous Regex Engine
            There are significant differences compared to the previous regex syntax
            used in earlier versions of NoteTab. The most notable ones are listed below:

            \n for newline (hex 0A); before it was hex 0D 0A. Replace \n with \r\n
            \l and \p - no longer used

            Tagged Matches:
            Replace { } with ( )

            Replace tokens:
            & no longer used; replace with $0
            \1 to \9 meaning changed; replace with $1 to $9

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/