using note pad light

  • whitsgirl91
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2006
      i downloaded note pad light and now i have no idea where to go to start
      using it? i know i must sound pretty dumb.
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
        Better to ask a simple question and appear dumb for five minutes than
        not to ask and remain ignorant for the rest of your life.

        You say you downloaded notetab light, so you have somewhere a file
        called 'NoteTab_Setup.exe' ?

        And you have double clicked upon it to instal it by following the
        instructions ?

        So you should on your desktop a 'Swiss Flag' (Red square with White
        cross on it ?

        So far so good ?

        Before I go any further could you please confirm that you're still
        with me ?

        Thanks

        fw

        --- whitsgirl91 <whitsgirl91@...> wrote:

        > i downloaded note pad light and now i have no idea where to go to
        > start
        > using it? i know i must sound pretty dumb.

        > --------------------~-->
        > Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/CefplB/TM

      • Bruce Meyers
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
          whitsgirl91 <whitsgirl91@...> wrote:
          i downloaded note pad light and now i have no idea where to go to start
          using it? i know i must sound pretty dumb.

          whitsgirl91,
          The best book I know for learning about HTML and other topics for building a web page is Elizabeth Castro's HTML for the World Wide Web now in its 5th Edition.
          You can buy it on line in many different places. You can probably buy a used copy and save some money.
          I am sure that others will recommend other books and sources but I know this book to be clear and easy to understand and it will give you the grounding you need. NoteTab is a great tool but you need some good 'education' to be able to use it.
          Another book is The Complete Idiot's Guide to HTML and there is a Yahoo groupfor CIGHTML readers. Quite a few people who are in Yahoo NoteTab groups are also in that group.
          By the way, you don't sound pretty dumb just because you don't know how to use HTML yet. Knowing that you have a lot to learn is smart, not dumb. Stay with it, writing HTML (and eventually xhtml) is fun and rewarding.

          oldguy1166 (I was 66 when I chose that name; I am 71 now and still learning)

        • Whit & Dennie Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
            yes i see the red notpad on my desktop, thanks for taking the time to try and help me :)

            fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote: Better to ask a simple question and appear dumb for five minutes than

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
              > oldguy1166 (I was 66 when I chose that name; I am 71 now and still learning)

              Good show Bruce! I am 72 and learning. When you stop learning, you're dead!

              Bruce
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                --- bruce.somers@... wrote:

                > > oldguy1166 (I was 66 when I chose that name; I am 71 now and still
                > learning)
                >
                > Good show Bruce! I am 72 and learning. When you stop learning, you're
                > dead!
                >
                > Bruce

                Gosh, you guys make me feel like a kid at 64! Still learning here too
                . . .

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Cary Driscoll
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2006
                  This may be straying into OT territory, but while Notetab light will help
                  you write your pages you still may need a program for manipulating graphic
                  images for your pages. For that I would recommend Google's free Picasa
                  program.

                  For a good but relatively cheap (and small) book on html I would recommend
                  Elizabeth Castro's "Creating a Web Page with HTML" from Peachpit Press.

                  A more serious recommendation would be Ian Lloyd's "Build Your Own Web Site
                  the Right Way Using HTML & CSS" from Sitepoint. This book actually suggest
                  using Notetab Light. Back on topic!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                    --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Whit & Dennie Williams
                    <whitsgirl91@...> wrote:

                    > yes i see the red notpad on my desktop, thanks for taking the time
                    to try and help me :)

                    So far so good.

                    Double click on the Swiss Flag, this will start NoteTab.

                    If I remember correctly Notetab with its first installation opens
                    some windows with names like 'Whatsnew.txt', you need to close these.

                    At the top click on File, drop down the menu to Close All documents
                    and click again.

                    This should leave a blank sheet on the right and a column of text
                    with some red headings on the left of the blank sheet. At the top of
                    the blank sheet on the left will be a tab with the file
                    name 'NoName01.txt'.

                    Along the bottom of the blank sheet are some tabs too, with green
                    mini icons beside the names. Click on the seventh from the
                    left 'HTML'. If you're quick you'll notice the text in the column to
                    the left of the blank sheet has altered.

                    To start a basic HTML document double-click right at the top 'New Web
                    page' on the column of text and red headers on the left hand-side.

                    You notice a wizard will appear and ask lots of questions, the
                    answers to which you should know if you've read any of the books that
                    other posters have recommended here. Also a new tab will have
                    appeared at the top. This is your first web page being constructed
                    for you.

                    See how you get on and let us know

                    fw
                  • fw7oaks
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
                      PS

                      I forgot the best bit.

                      After you have filled two wizard screens and NTB has generated some
                      HTML code for you, the sixteenth icon from the left under the title bar
                      changes from 'gray-ed out' to a little blue world.

                      Click on it and you will be rewarded by seeing your web page in your
                      designated browser.

                      Brilliant.

                      fw