Re: [NH] Code for HTML Extended Characters

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
      >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
      >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen

      Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on the
      special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)
      Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then again, I
      don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either. I probably miss
      something.

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hi Marcelo,

        Just a short note to let you know that I mentioned the line
        numbering to Eric a couple weeks ago, that it was a fairly often
        requested issue. I'll check the status about that, whether it
        might be added this update or not. I'd be happy if there was just
        a number by the actual line starts (cr/lf) and when word wrap is
        on you have a bunch of lines with no numbers by them. I would
        think that blank lines should be numbered as well. I know my CSE
        HTML Validator used with Tools | Validate HTML and W3C's online
        validation tool numbers the blanks and counts the lines only at
        the true line breaks.

        >On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 14:50, Jody invited the
        >wrath of the gods by saying:
        >> Hi Marcelo and Others,
        >>
        >> I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
        >> are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
        >> remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
        >> following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
        >>
        >By the way, as I was working in some files the other day I became aware
        >of a shortcoming in one aspect of Notetab -- namely, the line numbering:
        >
        >The line-numbering refers to the number of lines as *displayed*, not as
        >*saved.* That is, the same line has different numbers when word-wrapping
        >is turned on or off. Since Tidy error reports always refer to "real"
        >line counts (that is, counting actual line breaks), I have to turn
        >wordwrapping off for this info to be of any use. But then, if the lines
        >are long, editing becomes a pain.
        >
        >Of course, I *could* set up Tidy to break long lines -- it solves the
        >problem, kinda. But it also makes the code harder to follow, because
        >the indentations get lost.
        >
        >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
        >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen (meaning that a
        >word-wrapped long line would count as several lines -- that's the
        >present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines "as saved"
        >(meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a single line,
        >that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter if wordwrapping
        >was on or off).
        >
        >I realize this is rather late in the beta stage to ask for new features
        >but... well, I don't know, maybe Eric already considered it? If so, he
        >might interested in knowing that there are people who would like this
        >feature.

        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
        Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
          Hi Lotta, Marcelo, and Others,

          >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose
          >> if Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on
          >> screen
          >
          >Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on
          >the special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)

          LOL - But, I know what you mean. At times, I feel like I don't
          get some commands/functions I request that Eric doesn't do it
          because he doesn't want people to think he has favorites. <g>
          And, I surely don't want to be called the "teacher's pet." <g>

          >Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then
          >again, I don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either.
          >I probably miss something.

          My guess would be that it would slow down NoteTab too much and,
          probably a lot more difficult to program than we non-programmers
          think. Eric's known about it you full 10+ years too Lotta, oh, so
          it's your fault that we don't have it! Well, at least we know why
          and can say, "It's Lotta's fault!" <g>

          I'll hopefully get an answer about it tomorrow and will let you
          know what Eric's plans are in reference to the line numbering. I
          have a pretty nice Library called nnnLines, but I just noticed a
          tiny bug in it. Will upload later. Here's some general info about
          it...

          The only way you can print line numbers is by adding/inserting
          the line numbers to the document. So, you would want to make a
          copy first, place your cursor on line one or where you want to
          start the numbering at, and then click on Modify | Lines | Number
          lines...

          You can also look over my nnnLines Library. There are a number of
          ways to add line numbers some of them have many options and yet
          one you might like automatically makes a new document, numbers
          the lines, and then prints all with one click. You can add as
          many of the Clips to your default Clipbar when using a registered
          version of NoteTab.

          About halfway down in the attached Library there is a Clip called
          "Remove Numbers..." If there is no period, colon, etc. after the
          numbers just type in the amount of spaces, literally, use the
          Spacebar. You may have to use the Replace dialog to remove any
          leading spaces that may have been used for padding your numbers
          or any other stuff that the Clip does not do. It will remove all
          of like "239 " "66. " "777. " without the quotes though. If there
          are different separators following the numbers, you will need to
          run the Clip for as many times as there are different separators.

          The Library gets extracted to NoteTab's Libraries folder.
          nnnLines download link:
          http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip