Re: [NH] Code for HTML Extended Characters

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
      On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 14:50, Jody invited the
      wrath of the gods by saying:
      > Hi Marcelo and Others,
      >
      > I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
      > are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
      > remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
      > following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.

      By the way, as I was working in some files the other day I became aware
      of a shortcoming in one aspect of Notetab -- namely, the line numbering:

      The line-numbering refers to the number of lines as *displayed*, not as
      *saved.* That is, the same line has different numbers when word-wrapping
      is turned on or off. Since Tidy error reports always refer to "real"
      line counts (that is, counting actual line breaks), I have to turn
      wordwrapping off for this info to be of any use. But then, if the lines
      are long, editing becomes a pain.

      Of course, I *could* set up Tidy to break long lines -- it solves the
      problem, kinda. But it also makes the code harder to follow, because
      the indentations get lost.

      So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
      counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen (meaning that a
      word-wrapped long line would count as several lines -- that's the
      present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines "as saved"
      (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a single line,
      that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter if wordwrapping
      was on or off).

      I realize this is rather late in the beta stage to ask for new features
      but... well, I don't know, maybe Eric already considered it? If so, he
      might interested in knowing that there are people who would like this
      feature.

      Marcelo
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
        >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
        >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen

        Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on the
        special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)
        Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then again, I
        don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either. I probably miss
        something.

        Lotta
      • adrien
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
          Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
          > So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
          > Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
          > (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
          > that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
          > "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
          > single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
          > if wordwrapping was on or off).

          Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
          http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
          'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
          different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).
          --
          adrien
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
            On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 15:24, loro invited the
            wrath of the gods by saying:
            > Jody wrote:
            >

            >> I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
            >> are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
            >> remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
            >> following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
            >>
            >> 150 96 226 10010110 ­ – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)
            >>

            > That's good. Decimal is generally better than named entities because they
            > have better support in old crap like NS4. :-)
            > The only advantage of named entities is that they are easier to type and
            > remember, really. That's not an issue here. The problem in v. 4.x, isn't
            > that the values are decimal but that they are illegal. em- and en-dash are
            > currently converted to – and — . The whole range from 
            > through Ÿ are invalid characters. Windows stuff.

            Yes, numbered entities are actually more reliable (although harder to
            interpret by hand) than named entities. I'm OK with numbered entities
            too, as long as they are valid ones. Another problem with the current
            (4.x) conversion, besides the 129-159 range thing, is that a couple
            values are converted wrongly.

            Anyway, if the user prefers named entities over numbered entities, or
            vice versa, there's a fairly easy way to do the conversion -- just one
            of the many options in Tidy. Which, by the way, can also be used to
            convert from hard-to-edit-by-hand UTF-8 to, say, ISO-8859-1 plus named
            entities. (Myself, I use Win-1252 in the development stage, and convert
            to either ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 before publishing). I even use it now and
            then to convert texts from Mac-encoding...

            I use these kinds of tricks so much that I have the tidy.cfg in my
            Notetab Favourites list -- lots of times I open it, tweak it a bit,
            save, runTidy, open it again and revert to my usual default.

            Marcelo
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
              Hi Marcelo,

              Just a short note to let you know that I mentioned the line
              numbering to Eric a couple weeks ago, that it was a fairly often
              requested issue. I'll check the status about that, whether it
              might be added this update or not. I'd be happy if there was just
              a number by the actual line starts (cr/lf) and when word wrap is
              on you have a bunch of lines with no numbers by them. I would
              think that blank lines should be numbered as well. I know my CSE
              HTML Validator used with Tools | Validate HTML and W3C's online
              validation tool numbers the blanks and counts the lines only at
              the true line breaks.

              >On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 14:50, Jody invited the
              >wrath of the gods by saying:
              >> Hi Marcelo and Others,
              >>
              >> I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
              >> are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
              >> remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
              >> following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
              >>
              >By the way, as I was working in some files the other day I became aware
              >of a shortcoming in one aspect of Notetab -- namely, the line numbering:
              >
              >The line-numbering refers to the number of lines as *displayed*, not as
              >*saved.* That is, the same line has different numbers when word-wrapping
              >is turned on or off. Since Tidy error reports always refer to "real"
              >line counts (that is, counting actual line breaks), I have to turn
              >wordwrapping off for this info to be of any use. But then, if the lines
              >are long, editing becomes a pain.
              >
              >Of course, I *could* set up Tidy to break long lines -- it solves the
              >problem, kinda. But it also makes the code harder to follow, because
              >the indentations get lost.
              >
              >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
              >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen (meaning that a
              >word-wrapped long line would count as several lines -- that's the
              >present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines "as saved"
              >(meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a single line,
              >that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter if wordwrapping
              >was on or off).
              >
              >I realize this is rather late in the beta stage to ask for new features
              >but... well, I don't know, maybe Eric already considered it? If so, he
              >might interested in knowing that there are people who would like this
              >feature.

              http://www.notetab.net
              http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
              Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                Hi Adrien,

                >Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
                >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
                >> Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
                >> (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
                >> that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
                >> "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
                >> single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
                >> if wordwrapping was on or off).
                >
                >Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
                >http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
                >'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
                >different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).

                That is exactly what we are discussing. I sent in another message
                to number the lines the way I mentioned in the my last message
                under this thread that I now changed and put my reply following. :)
                I mentioned numbering the status bar the same way as the number
                bar only numbering lines with real hard line breaks with word
                wrap not effecting it. I did suggest it to be a feature added to
                Pro and Std, but also leave the current way in for writers (of
                literature), etc. It's just my guess that there are people in
                other areas, not html and other coders that want the soft wrapped
                lines numbered.

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Hi Lotta, Marcelo, and Others,

                  >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose
                  >> if Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on
                  >> screen
                  >
                  >Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on
                  >the special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)

                  LOL - But, I know what you mean. At times, I feel like I don't
                  get some commands/functions I request that Eric doesn't do it
                  because he doesn't want people to think he has favorites. <g>
                  And, I surely don't want to be called the "teacher's pet." <g>

                  >Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then
                  >again, I don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either.
                  >I probably miss something.

                  My guess would be that it would slow down NoteTab too much and,
                  probably a lot more difficult to program than we non-programmers
                  think. Eric's known about it you full 10+ years too Lotta, oh, so
                  it's your fault that we don't have it! Well, at least we know why
                  and can say, "It's Lotta's fault!" <g>

                  I'll hopefully get an answer about it tomorrow and will let you
                  know what Eric's plans are in reference to the line numbering. I
                  have a pretty nice Library called nnnLines, but I just noticed a
                  tiny bug in it. Will upload later. Here's some general info about
                  it...

                  The only way you can print line numbers is by adding/inserting
                  the line numbers to the document. So, you would want to make a
                  copy first, place your cursor on line one or where you want to
                  start the numbering at, and then click on Modify | Lines | Number
                  lines...

                  You can also look over my nnnLines Library. There are a number of
                  ways to add line numbers some of them have many options and yet
                  one you might like automatically makes a new document, numbers
                  the lines, and then prints all with one click. You can add as
                  many of the Clips to your default Clipbar when using a registered
                  version of NoteTab.

                  About halfway down in the attached Library there is a Clip called
                  "Remove Numbers..." If there is no period, colon, etc. after the
                  numbers just type in the amount of spaces, literally, use the
                  Spacebar. You may have to use the Replace dialog to remove any
                  leading spaces that may have been used for padding your numbers
                  or any other stuff that the Clip does not do. It will remove all
                  of like "239 " "66. " "777. " without the quotes though. If there
                  are different separators following the numbers, you will need to
                  run the Clip for as many times as there are different separators.

                  The Library gets extracted to NoteTab's Libraries folder.
                  nnnLines download link:
                  http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip