Re: [NH] Code for HTML Extended Characters

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
      Jody wrote:

      >I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
      >are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
      >remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
      >following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
      >
      >150 96 226 10010110 ­ – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)

      That's good. Decimal is generally better than named entities because they
      have better support in old crap like NS4. :-)
      The only advantage of named entities is that they are easier to type and
      remember, really. That's not an issue here. The problem in v. 4.x, isn't
      that the values are decimal but that they are illegal. em- and en-dash are
      currently converted to – and — . The whole range from 
      through Ÿ are invalid characters. Windows stuff.

      Lotta
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
        On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 14:50, Jody invited the
        wrath of the gods by saying:
        > Hi Marcelo and Others,
        >
        > I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
        > are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
        > remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
        > following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.

        By the way, as I was working in some files the other day I became aware
        of a shortcoming in one aspect of Notetab -- namely, the line numbering:

        The line-numbering refers to the number of lines as *displayed*, not as
        *saved.* That is, the same line has different numbers when word-wrapping
        is turned on or off. Since Tidy error reports always refer to "real"
        line counts (that is, counting actual line breaks), I have to turn
        wordwrapping off for this info to be of any use. But then, if the lines
        are long, editing becomes a pain.

        Of course, I *could* set up Tidy to break long lines -- it solves the
        problem, kinda. But it also makes the code harder to follow, because
        the indentations get lost.

        So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
        counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen (meaning that a
        word-wrapped long line would count as several lines -- that's the
        present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines "as saved"
        (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a single line,
        that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter if wordwrapping
        was on or off).

        I realize this is rather late in the beta stage to ask for new features
        but... well, I don't know, maybe Eric already considered it? If so, he
        might interested in knowing that there are people who would like this
        feature.

        Marcelo
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
          >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
          >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen

          Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on the
          special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)
          Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then again, I
          don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either. I probably miss
          something.

          Lotta
        • adrien
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
            Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
            > So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
            > Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
            > (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
            > that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
            > "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
            > single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
            > if wordwrapping was on or off).

            Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
            http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
            'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
            different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).
            --
            adrien
          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
              On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 15:24, loro invited the
              wrath of the gods by saying:
              > Jody wrote:
              >

              >> I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
              >> are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
              >> remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
              >> following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
              >>
              >> 150 96 226 10010110 ­ – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)
              >>

              > That's good. Decimal is generally better than named entities because they
              > have better support in old crap like NS4. :-)
              > The only advantage of named entities is that they are easier to type and
              > remember, really. That's not an issue here. The problem in v. 4.x, isn't
              > that the values are decimal but that they are illegal. em- and en-dash are
              > currently converted to – and — . The whole range from 
              > through Ÿ are invalid characters. Windows stuff.

              Yes, numbered entities are actually more reliable (although harder to
              interpret by hand) than named entities. I'm OK with numbered entities
              too, as long as they are valid ones. Another problem with the current
              (4.x) conversion, besides the 129-159 range thing, is that a couple
              values are converted wrongly.

              Anyway, if the user prefers named entities over numbered entities, or
              vice versa, there's a fairly easy way to do the conversion -- just one
              of the many options in Tidy. Which, by the way, can also be used to
              convert from hard-to-edit-by-hand UTF-8 to, say, ISO-8859-1 plus named
              entities. (Myself, I use Win-1252 in the development stage, and convert
              to either ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 before publishing). I even use it now and
              then to convert texts from Mac-encoding...

              I use these kinds of tricks so much that I have the tidy.cfg in my
              Notetab Favourites list -- lots of times I open it, tweak it a bit,
              save, runTidy, open it again and revert to my usual default.

              Marcelo
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                Hi Marcelo,

                Just a short note to let you know that I mentioned the line
                numbering to Eric a couple weeks ago, that it was a fairly often
                requested issue. I'll check the status about that, whether it
                might be added this update or not. I'd be happy if there was just
                a number by the actual line starts (cr/lf) and when word wrap is
                on you have a bunch of lines with no numbers by them. I would
                think that blank lines should be numbered as well. I know my CSE
                HTML Validator used with Tools | Validate HTML and W3C's online
                validation tool numbers the blanks and counts the lines only at
                the true line breaks.

                >On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 14:50, Jody invited the
                >wrath of the gods by saying:
                >> Hi Marcelo and Others,
                >>
                >> I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
                >> are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
                >> remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
                >> following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
                >>
                >By the way, as I was working in some files the other day I became aware
                >of a shortcoming in one aspect of Notetab -- namely, the line numbering:
                >
                >The line-numbering refers to the number of lines as *displayed*, not as
                >*saved.* That is, the same line has different numbers when word-wrapping
                >is turned on or off. Since Tidy error reports always refer to "real"
                >line counts (that is, counting actual line breaks), I have to turn
                >wordwrapping off for this info to be of any use. But then, if the lines
                >are long, editing becomes a pain.
                >
                >Of course, I *could* set up Tidy to break long lines -- it solves the
                >problem, kinda. But it also makes the code harder to follow, because
                >the indentations get lost.
                >
                >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
                >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen (meaning that a
                >word-wrapped long line would count as several lines -- that's the
                >present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines "as saved"
                >(meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a single line,
                >that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter if wordwrapping
                >was on or off).
                >
                >I realize this is rather late in the beta stage to ask for new features
                >but... well, I don't know, maybe Eric already considered it? If so, he
                >might interested in knowing that there are people who would like this
                >feature.

                http://www.notetab.net
                http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
                Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Hi Adrien,

                  >Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
                  >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
                  >> Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
                  >> (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
                  >> that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
                  >> "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
                  >> single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
                  >> if wordwrapping was on or off).
                  >
                  >Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
                  >http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
                  >'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
                  >different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).

                  That is exactly what we are discussing. I sent in another message
                  to number the lines the way I mentioned in the my last message
                  under this thread that I now changed and put my reply following. :)
                  I mentioned numbering the status bar the same way as the number
                  bar only numbering lines with real hard line breaks with word
                  wrap not effecting it. I did suggest it to be a feature added to
                  Pro and Std, but also leave the current way in for writers (of
                  literature), etc. It's just my guess that there are people in
                  other areas, not html and other coders that want the soft wrapped
                  lines numbered.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                    Hi Lotta, Marcelo, and Others,

                    >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose
                    >> if Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on
                    >> screen
                    >
                    >Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on
                    >the special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)

                    LOL - But, I know what you mean. At times, I feel like I don't
                    get some commands/functions I request that Eric doesn't do it
                    because he doesn't want people to think he has favorites. <g>
                    And, I surely don't want to be called the "teacher's pet." <g>

                    >Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then
                    >again, I don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either.
                    >I probably miss something.

                    My guess would be that it would slow down NoteTab too much and,
                    probably a lot more difficult to program than we non-programmers
                    think. Eric's known about it you full 10+ years too Lotta, oh, so
                    it's your fault that we don't have it! Well, at least we know why
                    and can say, "It's Lotta's fault!" <g>

                    I'll hopefully get an answer about it tomorrow and will let you
                    know what Eric's plans are in reference to the line numbering. I
                    have a pretty nice Library called nnnLines, but I just noticed a
                    tiny bug in it. Will upload later. Here's some general info about
                    it...

                    The only way you can print line numbers is by adding/inserting
                    the line numbers to the document. So, you would want to make a
                    copy first, place your cursor on line one or where you want to
                    start the numbering at, and then click on Modify | Lines | Number
                    lines...

                    You can also look over my nnnLines Library. There are a number of
                    ways to add line numbers some of them have many options and yet
                    one you might like automatically makes a new document, numbers
                    the lines, and then prints all with one click. You can add as
                    many of the Clips to your default Clipbar when using a registered
                    version of NoteTab.

                    About halfway down in the attached Library there is a Clip called
                    "Remove Numbers..." If there is no period, colon, etc. after the
                    numbers just type in the amount of spaces, literally, use the
                    Spacebar. You may have to use the Replace dialog to remove any
                    leading spaces that may have been used for padding your numbers
                    or any other stuff that the Clip does not do. It will remove all
                    of like "239 " "66. " "777. " without the quotes though. If there
                    are different separators following the numbers, you will need to
                    run the Clip for as many times as there are different separators.

                    The Library gets extracted to NoteTab's Libraries folder.
                    nnnLines download link:
                    http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip