Re: [NH] Code for HTML Extended Characters

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2006
      On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/5/2006 17:07, Jody invited the
      wrath of the gods by saying:
      > Hi Marcelo,
      >
      > Thanks! This is the one I was referring to. Once you gave me some
      > text to search on, I found my copy. <g> Most of them are already fixed
      > in NoteTab v5.0 :)

      1. Just "most?" ;-)
      2. Do you have a timeline to offer us hardcore fans now? It has been
      what, FOUR YEARS?
      3. Or at least a new feature list to keep us waiting?

      Marcelo
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2006
        Hi Marcelo,

        >On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/5/2006 17:07, Jody invited the
        >wrath of the gods by saying:
        >> Hi Marcelo,
        >>
        >> Thanks! This is the one I was referring to. Once you gave me some
        >> text to search on, I found my copy. <g> Most of them are already fixed
        >> in NoteTab v5.0 :)
        >>
        >1. Just "most?" ;-)
        >2. Do you have a timeline to offer us hardcore fans now? It has been
        >what, FOUR YEARS?

        Nope! Sorry.

        >3. Or at least a new feature list to keep us waiting?

        There have been some subtle changes in behavior. One thing that
        has been an issue on the list is not being able to have NoteTab
        write to the INI file when users are logged in by an account
        name. Now, if no INI file is found like NotePro.ini for instance,
        NoteTab will create an INI file under the Documents and Settings
        for the logged in user such as:

        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Tips.ndx
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro 5b01.fpr
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro 5b1.ini
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\SPELL.CFG
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Samples\
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Scripts\
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Sounds\
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Spelling\
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Templates\
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Favorites\
        D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Libraries\

        I don't know id Spelling replace Dictionaries or not or visa versa. We done
        about 18-20 betas counting the ones that was just Eric and I.

        I have to leave for an appointment; just noticed I'm late. Gotta run!

        bcnu,
        jody

        I can only please one person a day.
        Today is obviously not your day.
        Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
        http://www.sojourner.us/software
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
          Hi Marcelo and Others,

          I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
          are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
          remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
          following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.

          150 96 226 10010110 – – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)
          151 97 227 10010111 — — · — EPA - Em-dash (End of Guarded Area)

          He had already done a lot of work to them without mentioning it
          as he does at times and uses the catchall phrase, "And other
          small glitches as well," referring to all the bugs he fixed and
          for some reason doesn't tell us. <g> Anyway, I went to AsciiCat
          and copied the whole list from 128 on. I found about 15 that still
          needed fixing, only a few that were "critical" but he fixed them all. :)

          >> I know I have this somewhere, but does anybody have a list of the
          >> extended characters converted to HTML that are not working
          >> correctly. I was once told that it was from a certain number and
          >> all the way up the list from there, if that makes any sense to
          >> you. <g>
          >>
          >Just found an old message in which I gave the same info as in the
          >
          >Marcelo
          >
          >146 92 U+2019 : RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (gets converted to ´
          >which is NOT the same -- should be ’ or ’)
          >148 94 U+201D : RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK (gets converted to ’
          >which is plain wrong -- should be ” or ”)
          >
          >128 to €
          >130 to ‚
          >131 to ƒ
          >132 to „
          >133 to …
          <snip>

          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
          Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
            Jody wrote:

            >I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
            >are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
            >remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
            >following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
            >
            >150 96 226 10010110 ­ – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)

            That's good. Decimal is generally better than named entities because they
            have better support in old crap like NS4. :-)
            The only advantage of named entities is that they are easier to type and
            remember, really. That's not an issue here. The problem in v. 4.x, isn't
            that the values are decimal but that they are illegal. em- and en-dash are
            currently converted to – and — . The whole range from 
            through Ÿ are invalid characters. Windows stuff.

            Lotta
          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
              On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 14:50, Jody invited the
              wrath of the gods by saying:
              > Hi Marcelo and Others,
              >
              > I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
              > are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
              > remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
              > following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.

              By the way, as I was working in some files the other day I became aware
              of a shortcoming in one aspect of Notetab -- namely, the line numbering:

              The line-numbering refers to the number of lines as *displayed*, not as
              *saved.* That is, the same line has different numbers when word-wrapping
              is turned on or off. Since Tidy error reports always refer to "real"
              line counts (that is, counting actual line breaks), I have to turn
              wordwrapping off for this info to be of any use. But then, if the lines
              are long, editing becomes a pain.

              Of course, I *could* set up Tidy to break long lines -- it solves the
              problem, kinda. But it also makes the code harder to follow, because
              the indentations get lost.

              So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
              counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen (meaning that a
              word-wrapped long line would count as several lines -- that's the
              present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines "as saved"
              (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a single line,
              that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter if wordwrapping
              was on or off).

              I realize this is rather late in the beta stage to ask for new features
              but... well, I don't know, maybe Eric already considered it? If so, he
              might interested in knowing that there are people who would like this
              feature.

              Marcelo
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
                >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
                >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen

                Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on the
                special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)
                Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then again, I
                don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either. I probably miss
                something.

                Lotta
              • adrien
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
                  > So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
                  > Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
                  > (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
                  > that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
                  > "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
                  > single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
                  > if wordwrapping was on or off).

                  Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
                  http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
                  'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
                  different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).
                  --
                  adrien
                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                    On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 15:24, loro invited the
                    wrath of the gods by saying:
                    > Jody wrote:
                    >

                    >> I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
                    >> are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
                    >> remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
                    >> following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
                    >>
                    >> 150 96 226 10010110 ­ – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)
                    >>

                    > That's good. Decimal is generally better than named entities because they
                    > have better support in old crap like NS4. :-)
                    > The only advantage of named entities is that they are easier to type and
                    > remember, really. That's not an issue here. The problem in v. 4.x, isn't
                    > that the values are decimal but that they are illegal. em- and en-dash are
                    > currently converted to – and — . The whole range from 
                    > through Ÿ are invalid characters. Windows stuff.

                    Yes, numbered entities are actually more reliable (although harder to
                    interpret by hand) than named entities. I'm OK with numbered entities
                    too, as long as they are valid ones. Another problem with the current
                    (4.x) conversion, besides the 129-159 range thing, is that a couple
                    values are converted wrongly.

                    Anyway, if the user prefers named entities over numbered entities, or
                    vice versa, there's a fairly easy way to do the conversion -- just one
                    of the many options in Tidy. Which, by the way, can also be used to
                    convert from hard-to-edit-by-hand UTF-8 to, say, ISO-8859-1 plus named
                    entities. (Myself, I use Win-1252 in the development stage, and convert
                    to either ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 before publishing). I even use it now and
                    then to convert texts from Mac-encoding...

                    I use these kinds of tricks so much that I have the tidy.cfg in my
                    Notetab Favourites list -- lots of times I open it, tweak it a bit,
                    save, runTidy, open it again and revert to my usual default.

                    Marcelo
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                      Hi Marcelo,

                      Just a short note to let you know that I mentioned the line
                      numbering to Eric a couple weeks ago, that it was a fairly often
                      requested issue. I'll check the status about that, whether it
                      might be added this update or not. I'd be happy if there was just
                      a number by the actual line starts (cr/lf) and when word wrap is
                      on you have a bunch of lines with no numbers by them. I would
                      think that blank lines should be numbered as well. I know my CSE
                      HTML Validator used with Tools | Validate HTML and W3C's online
                      validation tool numbers the blanks and counts the lines only at
                      the true line breaks.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                        Hi Adrien,

                        >Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
                        >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
                        >> Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
                        >> (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
                        >> that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
                        >> "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
                        >> single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
                        >> if wordwrapping was on or off).
                        >
                        >Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
                        >http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
                        >'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
                        >different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).

                        That is exactly what we are discussing. I sent in another message
                        to number the lines the way I mentioned in the my last message
                        under this thread that I now changed and put my reply following. :)
                        I mentioned numbering the status bar the same way as the number
                        bar only numbering lines with real hard line breaks with word
                        wrap not effecting it. I did suggest it to be a feature added to
                        Pro and Std, but also leave the current way in for writers (of
                        literature), etc. It's just my guess that there are people in
                        other areas, not html and other coders that want the soft wrapped
                        lines numbered.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                          Hi Lotta, Marcelo, and Others,

                          >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose
                          >> if Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on
                          >> screen
                          >
                          >Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on
                          >the special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)

                          LOL - But, I know what you mean. At times, I feel like I don't
                          get some commands/functions I request that Eric doesn't do it
                          because he doesn't want people to think he has favorites. <g>
                          And, I surely don't want to be called the "teacher's pet." <g>

                          >Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then
                          >again, I don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either.
                          >I probably miss something.

                          My guess would be that it would slow down NoteTab too much and,
                          probably a lot more difficult to program than we non-programmers
                          think. Eric's known about it you full 10+ years too Lotta, oh, so
                          it's your fault that we don't have it! Well, at least we know why
                          and can say, "It's Lotta's fault!" <g>

                          I'll hopefully get an answer about it tomorrow and will let you
                          know what Eric's plans are in reference to the line numbering. I
                          have a pretty nice Library called nnnLines, but I just noticed a
                          tiny bug in it. Will upload later. Here's some general info about
                          it...

                          The only way you can print line numbers is by adding/inserting
                          the line numbers to the document. So, you would want to make a
                          copy first, place your cursor on line one or where you want to
                          start the numbering at, and then click on Modify | Lines | Number
                          lines...

                          You can also look over my nnnLines Library. There are a number of
                          ways to add line numbers some of them have many options and yet
                          one you might like automatically makes a new document, numbers
                          the lines, and then prints all with one click. You can add as
                          many of the Clips to your default Clipbar when using a registered
                          version of NoteTab.

                          About halfway down in the attached Library there is a Clip called
                          "Remove Numbers..." If there is no period, colon, etc. after the
                          numbers just type in the amount of spaces, literally, use the
                          Spacebar. You may have to use the Replace dialog to remove any
                          leading spaces that may have been used for padding your numbers
                          or any other stuff that the Clip does not do. It will remove all
                          of like "239 " "66. " "777. " without the quotes though. If there
                          are different separators following the numbers, you will need to
                          run the Clip for as many times as there are different separators.

                          The Library gets extracted to NoteTab's Libraries folder.
                          nnnLines download link:
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip