Re: [NH] mouseovers

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2006
      On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/5/2006 01:50, Kerry Coates
      invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
      > I have some code on my page that the validator does not like. My page
      > otherwise validates. The code is this:

      > onmouseover="this.style.color='red'"
      > onmouseout="this.style.color='FFBA00'">Acidophilus Plus</font></a>
      >
      > As you can see, I am using this code for a link. It works on the page, but
      > the validator just doesn't like it. Thanks!

      Hmm, Javascript is not my forte. It may be that this syntax is invalid
      -- the reference I checked suggested you should call a function from
      inside the onmouseover and onmouseout events, instead of just putting in
      the statement. But you can do the same effect in CSS, and get rid of the
      <head>
      <title></title>
      <!--
      a,a:visited {color:#FFBA00;
      font-size:larger;}
      a:hover,a:active {color:red;
      font-size:larger;}
      -->
      </head>

      Marcelo
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2006
        Kerry Coates wrote:
        >I have some code on my page that the validator does not like. My page
        >otherwise validates. The code is this:

        >onmouseover="this.style.color='red'"
        >onmouseout="this.style.color='FFBA00'">Acidophilus Plus</font></a>

        What validator this time? And what does it say? What doctype (if it's a
        real validator)?

        Meanwhile, the error probably goes away if you move the event handlers from
        the FONT tag to the A tag. You can see here which elements you can use
        onmouseover with.
        <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/attributes.html>

        If you use a strict doctype the use of FONT will give you an error too
        (from a real validator).