mouseovers

  • Kerry Coates
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2006
      I have some code on my page that the validator does not like. My page
      otherwise validates. The code is this:

      onmouseover="this.style.color='red'"
      onmouseout="this.style.color='FFBA00'">Acidophilus Plus</font></a>

      As you can see, I am using this code for a link. It works on the page, but
      the validator just doesn't like it. Thanks!

      Kerry Coates
      Visit all my websites!
      http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
      http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
      http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
      http://www.CharroCoats.com
      http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com
    • Hugo Paulissen
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2006

        > onmouseover="this.style.color='red'"
        > onmouseout="this.style.color='FFBA00'">Acidophilus Plus</font></a>
        >
        > As you can see, I am using this code for a link. It works on the
        page, but
        > the validator just doesn't like it. Thanks!

        Kerry,

        I simply use hover in css for this effect.

        Example CSS
        a {font-size: medium; color: red;}
        a:hover {color: #FFBA00;}

        Example HTML

        Hugo
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2006
          On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/5/2006 01:50, Kerry Coates
          invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
          > I have some code on my page that the validator does not like. My page
          > otherwise validates. The code is this:

          > onmouseover="this.style.color='red'"
          > onmouseout="this.style.color='FFBA00'">Acidophilus Plus</font></a>
          >
          > As you can see, I am using this code for a link. It works on the page, but
          > the validator just doesn't like it. Thanks!

          Hmm, Javascript is not my forte. It may be that this syntax is invalid
          -- the reference I checked suggested you should call a function from
          inside the onmouseover and onmouseout events, instead of just putting in
          the statement. But you can do the same effect in CSS, and get rid of the
          <head>
          <title></title>
          <!--
          a,a:visited {color:#FFBA00;
          font-size:larger;}
          a:hover,a:active {color:red;
          font-size:larger;}
          -->
          </head>

          Marcelo
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2006
            Kerry Coates wrote:
            >I have some code on my page that the validator does not like. My page
            >otherwise validates. The code is this:

            >onmouseover="this.style.color='red'"
            >onmouseout="this.style.color='FFBA00'">Acidophilus Plus</font></a>

            What validator this time? And what does it say? What doctype (if it's a
            real validator)?

            Meanwhile, the error probably goes away if you move the event handlers from
            the FONT tag to the A tag. You can see here which elements you can use
            onmouseover with.
            <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/attributes.html>

            If you use a strict doctype the use of FONT will give you an error too
            (from a real validator).