Re: [NH] Offline CSS Validator for Notetab

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 24, 2006
      Jody wrote:
      >I'm downloading your suggestion and will check it out when time
      >permits. CSE HTML Validator does check CSS too. I just saw the
      >screen shots and it does the same thing as CSE HTML Validator
      >that is under the Tools menu if you install it. So, it is a
      >matter of which one does the best job I suppose, or personal
      >preference. ;)

      The latter, I assume, since they are totally different tools.

      >Maybe it'll boil down to the smallest download.
      ><g> Have you been using it for awhile; do you know if it gets
      >updated fairly often, or enough, whatever 'enough' is?

      I haven't been using it at all, since it's new. :-)
      It wouldn't need updating until w3c comes out with a new version of its CSS
      checker.

      > Does it
      >allow configuration like disabling/enabling of messages of all
      >types?

      I don't think so.

      Message 2 of 23 , May 2 1:53 PM
        Hi All,

        I know I have this somewhere, but does anybody have a list of the
        extended characters converted to HTML that are not working
        correctly. I was once told that it was from a certain number and
        all the way up the list from there, if that makes any sense to
        you. <g>

        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
        Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2 4:42 PM
          On the last exciting episode, aired on 2/5/2006 17:53, Jody invited the
          wrath of the gods by saying:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I know I have this somewhere, but does anybody have a list of the
          > extended characters converted to HTML that are not working
          > correctly. I was once told that it was from a certain number and
          > all the way up the list from there, if that makes any sense to
          > you. <g>

          Well, not in table form, no, but...
          ... i made a couple clips to solve this issue. For instance, numbered
          entities in the range 128-159 are invalid and should never be used;
          since I sometimes receive a HTML file from somewhere with this problem
          (Tidy will scream bloody murder when trying to process it), I did this
          clip to convert these entities to the correct named entities:

          ^!Replace "ƒ" >> "ƒ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "•" >> "•" TWSA
          ^!Replace "…" >> "…" TWSA
          ^!Replace "Œ" >> "Œ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "œ" >> "œ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "Š" >> "Š" TWSA
          ^!Replace "š" >> "š" TWSA
          ^!Replace "ˆ" >> "ˆ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "˜" >> "˜" TWSA
          ^!Replace "–" >> "–" TWSA
          ^!Replace "—" >> "—" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‘" >> "‘" TWSA
          ^!Replace "’" >> "’" TWSA
          ^!Replace "“" >> "“" TWSA
          ^!Replace "”" >> "”" TWSA
          ^!Replace "„" >> "„" TWSA
          ^!Replace "†" >> "†" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‡" >> "‡" TWSA
          ^!Replace "“" >> "‰" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‹" >> "‹" TWSA
          ^!Replace "€" >> "€" TWSA

          However, when using the "convert to HTML" feature in Notetab, the
          problem is NOT limited to that; the sad truth is that Notetab converts
          some characters to the WRONG numbered/named entity. For instance,
          smartquotes are converted wrongly. So, I developed a second clip that
          takes this into account (and do a couple cosmetic things on the side):

          ^!Replace "’" >> "”" TWSA
          ^!Replace "´" >> "’" TWSA
          ^!Replace "ƒ" >> "ƒ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "•" >> "•" TWSA
          ^!Replace "…" >> "…" TWSA
          ^!Replace "Œ" >> "Œ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "œ" >> "œ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "Š" >> "Š" TWSA
          ^!Replace "š" >> "š" TWSA
          ^!Replace "ˆ" >> "ˆ" TWSA
          ^!Replace "˜" >> "˜" TWSA
          ^!Replace "–" >> "–" TWSA
          ^!Replace "—" >> "—" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‘" >> "‘" TWSA
          ^!Replace "“" >> "“" TWSA
          ^!Replace "„" >> "„" TWSA
          ^!Replace "†" >> "†" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‡" >> "‡" TWSA
          ^!Replace "Ž" >> "é" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‰" >> "‰" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‹" >> "‹" TWSA
          ^!Replace "€" >> "€" TWSA
          ^!Replace "‚" >> "é" TWSA

          Marcelo Bastos
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2 5:37 PM
            On the last exciting episode, aired on 2/5/2006 17:53, Jody invited the
            wrath of the gods by saying:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > I know I have this somewhere, but does anybody have a list of the
            > extended characters converted to HTML that are not working
            > correctly. I was once told that it was from a certain number and
            > all the way up the list from there, if that makes any sense to
            > you. <g>

            Just found an old message in which I gave the same info as in the

            Marcelo

            Message 5 of 23 , May 2 9:47 PM
              Marcelo,
              I still use " for double quotes. Is that not correct anymore? I
              also use ® for Registered Trademark and & for the symbol "&", etc.
              When I validate my pages I don't get any errors on these ( just other stuff
              I can't seem to get right!)

              Kerry Coates
              Visit all my websites!
              http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
              http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
              http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
              http://www.CharroCoats.com
              http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

              > On the last exciting episode, aired on 2/5/2006 17:53, Jody invited the
              > wrath of the gods by saying:
              >> Hi All,
              >>
              >> I know I have this somewhere, but does anybody have a list of the
              >> extended characters converted to HTML that are not working
              >> correctly. I was once told that it was from a certain number and
              >> all the way up the list from there, if that makes any sense to
              >> you. <g>
              >>

              > Just found an old message in which I gave the same info as in the
              >
              > Marcelo

            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3 6:48 AM
                On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/5/2006 01:47, Kerry Coates
                invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
                > Marcelo,
                > I still use " for double quotes. Is that not correct anymore? I
                > also use ® for Registered Trademark and & for the symbol "&", etc.
                > When I validate my pages I don't get any errors on these ( just other stuff
                > I can't seem to get right!)

                No, it's OK to use " , it's just not REQUIRED. Same for ® ,
                except that depending on the charset you may be required to use the
                ® form -- the "registered trademark" glyph is allowed in iso-8859-1
                and win-1252 character sets, but not in other charsets, like "pure" ASCII.

                Generally speaking, the named entities (like ®) and numbered
                entities (like һ) are ALWAYS allowed. However, some named
                entities are poorly supported, and might not work in all browsers
                (numbered entities should always work, unless the client computer does
                not have a font with the right glyph). There are sites listing all of those.

                The advantages to using the character itself instead of the entity form are:
                1- The file is slightly smaller, and
                2- It's more human-readable.

                Another good option, instead of using entities, is to convert the entire
                file to Unicode (for instance, in UTF-8). However, this is harder to do
                by hand...

                Marcelo
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3 1:07 PM
                  Hi Marcelo,

                  Thanks! This is the one I was referring to. Once you gave me some
                  text to search on, I found my copy. <g> Most of them are already fixed
                  in NoteTab v5.0 :)

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3 2:12 PM
                    On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/5/2006 17:07, Jody invited the
                    wrath of the gods by saying:
                    > Hi Marcelo,
                    >
                    > Thanks! This is the one I was referring to. Once you gave me some
                    > text to search on, I found my copy. <g> Most of them are already fixed
                    > in NoteTab v5.0 :)

                    1. Just "most?" ;-)
                    2. Do you have a timeline to offer us hardcore fans now? It has been
                    what, FOUR YEARS?
                    3. Or at least a new feature list to keep us waiting?

                    Marcelo
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4 8:41 AM
                      Hi Marcelo,

                      >On the last exciting episode, aired on 3/5/2006 17:07, Jody invited the
                      >wrath of the gods by saying:
                      >> Hi Marcelo,
                      >>
                      >> Thanks! This is the one I was referring to. Once you gave me some
                      >> text to search on, I found my copy. <g> Most of them are already fixed
                      >> in NoteTab v5.0 :)
                      >>
                      >1. Just "most?" ;-)
                      >2. Do you have a timeline to offer us hardcore fans now? It has been
                      >what, FOUR YEARS?

                      Nope! Sorry.

                      >3. Or at least a new feature list to keep us waiting?

                      There have been some subtle changes in behavior. One thing that
                      has been an issue on the list is not being able to have NoteTab
                      write to the INI file when users are logged in by an account
                      name. Now, if no INI file is found like NotePro.ini for instance,
                      NoteTab will create an INI file under the Documents and Settings
                      for the logged in user such as:

                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Tips.ndx
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro 5b01.fpr
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro 5b1.ini
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\SPELL.CFG
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Samples\
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Scripts\
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Sounds\
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Spelling\
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Templates\
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Favorites\
                      D:\Documents and Settings\Sojourner\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Libraries\

                      I don't know id Spelling replace Dictionaries or not or visa versa. We done
                      about 18-20 betas counting the ones that was just Eric and I.

                      I have to leave for an appointment; just noticed I'm late. Gotta run!

                      bcnu,
                      jody

                      I can only please one person a day.
                      Today is obviously not your day.
                      Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
                      http://www.clean-funnies.com
                      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
                      http://www.sojourner.us/software
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                        Hi Marcelo and Others,

                        I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
                        are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
                        remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
                        following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.

                        150 96 226 10010110 – – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)
                        151 97 227 10010111 — — · — EPA - Em-dash (End of Guarded Area)

                        He had already done a lot of work to them without mentioning it
                        as he does at times and uses the catchall phrase, "And other
                        small glitches as well," referring to all the bugs he fixed and
                        for some reason doesn't tell us. <g> Anyway, I went to AsciiCat
                        and copied the whole list from 128 on. I found about 15 that still
                        needed fixing, only a few that were "critical" but he fixed them all. :)

                        >> I know I have this somewhere, but does anybody have a list of the
                        >> extended characters converted to HTML that are not working
                        >> correctly. I was once told that it was from a certain number and
                        >> all the way up the list from there, if that makes any sense to
                        >> you. <g>
                        >>
                        >Just found an old message in which I gave the same info as in the
                        >
                        >Marcelo
                        >
                        >146 92 U+2019 : RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (gets converted to ´
                        >which is NOT the same -- should be ’ or ’)
                        >148 94 U+201D : RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK (gets converted to ’
                        >which is plain wrong -- should be ” or ”)
                        >
                        >128 to €
                        >130 to ‚
                        >131 to ƒ
                        >132 to „
                        >133 to …
                        <snip>

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                          Jody wrote:

                          >I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
                          >are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
                          >remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
                          >following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
                          >
                          >150 96 226 10010110 ­ – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)

                          That's good. Decimal is generally better than named entities because they
                          have better support in old crap like NS4. :-)
                          The only advantage of named entities is that they are easier to type and
                          remember, really. That's not an issue here. The problem in v. 4.x, isn't
                          that the values are decimal but that they are illegal. em- and en-dash are
                          currently converted to – and — . The whole range from 
                          through Ÿ are invalid characters. Windows stuff.

                          Lotta
                        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                            On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 14:50, Jody invited the
                            wrath of the gods by saying:
                            > Hi Marcelo and Others,
                            >
                            > I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
                            > are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
                            > remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
                            > following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.

                            By the way, as I was working in some files the other day I became aware
                            of a shortcoming in one aspect of Notetab -- namely, the line numbering:

                            The line-numbering refers to the number of lines as *displayed*, not as
                            *saved.* That is, the same line has different numbers when word-wrapping
                            is turned on or off. Since Tidy error reports always refer to "real"
                            line counts (that is, counting actual line breaks), I have to turn
                            wordwrapping off for this info to be of any use. But then, if the lines
                            are long, editing becomes a pain.

                            Of course, I *could* set up Tidy to break long lines -- it solves the
                            problem, kinda. But it also makes the code harder to follow, because
                            the indentations get lost.

                            So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
                            counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen (meaning that a
                            word-wrapped long line would count as several lines -- that's the
                            present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines "as saved"
                            (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a single line,
                            that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter if wordwrapping
                            was on or off).

                            I realize this is rather late in the beta stage to ask for new features
                            but... well, I don't know, maybe Eric already considered it? If so, he
                            might interested in knowing that there are people who would like this
                            feature.

                            Marcelo
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                              Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
                              >So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if Notetab
                              >counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen

                              Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on the
                              special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)
                              Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then again, I
                              don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either. I probably miss
                              something.

                              Lotta
                            • adrien
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                                Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
                                > So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
                                > Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
                                > (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
                                > that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
                                > "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
                                > single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
                                > if wordwrapping was on or off).

                                Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
                                http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
                                'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
                                different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).
                                --
                                adrien
                              • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                                  On the last exciting episode, aired on 1/6/2006 15:24, loro invited the
                                  wrath of the gods by saying:
                                  > Jody wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> I thought I might let you all know that all extended characters
                                  >> are now set correctly in NoteTab v5B16. There's only two that
                                  >> remain the decimal instead of the html source code. They are the
                                  >> following. Eric told me why he left them, but I forget.
                                  >>
                                  >> 150 96 226 10010110 ­ – · – SPA - En-dash (Start of Guarded Area)
                                  >>

                                  > That's good. Decimal is generally better than named entities because they
                                  > have better support in old crap like NS4. :-)
                                  > The only advantage of named entities is that they are easier to type and
                                  > remember, really. That's not an issue here. The problem in v. 4.x, isn't
                                  > that the values are decimal but that they are illegal. em- and en-dash are
                                  > currently converted to – and — . The whole range from 
                                  > through Ÿ are invalid characters. Windows stuff.

                                  Yes, numbered entities are actually more reliable (although harder to
                                  interpret by hand) than named entities. I'm OK with numbered entities
                                  too, as long as they are valid ones. Another problem with the current
                                  (4.x) conversion, besides the 129-159 range thing, is that a couple
                                  values are converted wrongly.

                                  Anyway, if the user prefers named entities over numbered entities, or
                                  vice versa, there's a fairly easy way to do the conversion -- just one
                                  of the many options in Tidy. Which, by the way, can also be used to
                                  convert from hard-to-edit-by-hand UTF-8 to, say, ISO-8859-1 plus named
                                  entities. (Myself, I use Win-1252 in the development stage, and convert
                                  to either ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 before publishing). I even use it now and
                                  then to convert texts from Mac-encoding...

                                  I use these kinds of tricks so much that I have the tidy.cfg in my
                                  Notetab Favourites list -- lots of times I open it, tweak it a bit,
                                  save, runTidy, open it again and revert to my usual default.

                                  Marcelo
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                                    Hi Marcelo,

                                    Just a short note to let you know that I mentioned the line
                                    numbering to Eric a couple weeks ago, that it was a fairly often
                                    requested issue. I'll check the status about that, whether it
                                    might be added this update or not. I'd be happy if there was just
                                    a number by the actual line starts (cr/lf) and when word wrap is
                                    on you have a bunch of lines with no numbers by them. I would
                                    think that blank lines should be numbered as well. I know my CSE
                                    HTML Validator used with Tools | Validate HTML and W3C's online
                                    validation tool numbers the blanks and counts the lines only at
                                    the true line breaks.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                                      Hi Adrien,

                                      >Op do, 01-06-2006 te 15:37 -0300, schreef Marcelo de Castro Bastos:
                                      >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose if
                                      >> Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on screen
                                      >> (meaning that a word-wrapped long line would count as several lines --
                                      >> that's the present behavior) or if it counts/numbers/searches lines
                                      >> "as saved" (meaning that it long word-wrapped line would count as a
                                      >> single line, that is, it would have the same "line number" no matter
                                      >> if wordwrapping was on or off).
                                      >
                                      >Do not know if it is the same. But when one runs the validator
                                      >http://validator.w3.org/ than, for example, it says: on line X error
                                      >'this' and error 'that'. The line number from the validator is always
                                      >different from the linenumber in NoteTab (Pro 4.95).

                                      That is exactly what we are discussing. I sent in another message
                                      to number the lines the way I mentioned in the my last message
                                      under this thread that I now changed and put my reply following. :)
                                      I mentioned numbering the status bar the same way as the number
                                      bar only numbering lines with real hard line breaks with word
                                      wrap not effecting it. I did suggest it to be a feature added to
                                      Pro and Std, but also leave the current way in for writers (of
                                      literature), etc. It's just my guess that there are people in
                                      other areas, not html and other coders that want the soft wrapped
                                      lines numbered.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 1, 2006
                                        Hi Lotta, Marcelo, and Others,

                                        >> So, what I would really like is... well, to be able to choose
                                        >> if Notetab counts/numbers/searches lines "as displayed" on
                                        >> screen
                                        >
                                        >Ha! I've asked for this for10 years - at least. I'm sure it's on
                                        >the special don't-fix-this-because-Lotta-wants-it list. ;-)

                                        LOL - But, I know what you mean. At times, I feel like I don't
                                        get some commands/functions I request that Eric doesn't do it
                                        because he doesn't want people to think he has favorites. <g>
                                        And, I surely don't want to be called the "teacher's pet." <g>

                                        >Jokes aside, I guess the clippo stuff complicates it maybe. Then
                                        >again, I don't see why clips need to count wrapped lines either.
                                        >I probably miss something.

                                        My guess would be that it would slow down NoteTab too much and,
                                        probably a lot more difficult to program than we non-programmers
                                        think. Eric's known about it you full 10+ years too Lotta, oh, so
                                        it's your fault that we don't have it! Well, at least we know why
                                        and can say, "It's Lotta's fault!" <g>

                                        I'll hopefully get an answer about it tomorrow and will let you
                                        know what Eric's plans are in reference to the line numbering. I
                                        have a pretty nice Library called nnnLines, but I just noticed a
                                        tiny bug in it. Will upload later. Here's some general info about
                                        it...

                                        The only way you can print line numbers is by adding/inserting
                                        the line numbers to the document. So, you would want to make a
                                        copy first, place your cursor on line one or where you want to
                                        start the numbering at, and then click on Modify | Lines | Number
                                        lines...

                                        You can also look over my nnnLines Library. There are a number of
                                        ways to add line numbers some of them have many options and yet
                                        one you might like automatically makes a new document, numbers
                                        the lines, and then prints all with one click. You can add as
                                        many of the Clips to your default Clipbar when using a registered
                                        version of NoteTab.

                                        About halfway down in the attached Library there is a Clip called
                                        "Remove Numbers..." If there is no period, colon, etc. after the
                                        numbers just type in the amount of spaces, literally, use the
                                        Spacebar. You may have to use the Replace dialog to remove any
                                        leading spaces that may have been used for padding your numbers
                                        or any other stuff that the Clip does not do. It will remove all
                                        of like "239 " "66. " "777. " without the quotes though. If there
                                        are different separators following the numbers, you will need to
                                        run the Clip for as many times as there are different separators.

                                        The Library gets extracted to NoteTab's Libraries folder.
                                        nnnLines download link:
                                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/nnnlines.zip