using redirect

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2006
      Greetings,

      I have pages posted which have already been indexed by Google.
      These pages are being reworked and put under a new domain.

      So that users who stumble on my old site via Google, etc. see the new ones
      I have added a redirect to each page to the new site:

      Old with redirect:
      http://www.mbreiding.us/2006/ERT_2006/fl/parks_hikes/oleno/

      Redirected to:
      http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/oleno_state_park/

      Is this the appropriate/best way to accomplish sending users to the new page?
      If so, is the Redirect syntax correct?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2006
        Hi Mike,

        > Is this the appropriate/best way to accomplish sending users to the new page?

        The best way would be to set a HTTP 301 header ("Moved Permanenly"). If
        you have some kind of scripting language at hand, go for this.

        More info here:
        http://www.somacon.com/p145.php

        > If so, is the Redirect syntax correct?

        It's syntactically correct and works for me.

        Rudi
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2006
          At 07:12 AM 4/21/2006 , Rudolf Horbas wrote:
          >Hi Mike,
          > > Is this the appropriate/best way to accomplish sending users to the new
          > page?
          >
          >The best way would be to set a HTTP 301 header ("Moved Permanenly"). If
          >you have some kind of scripting language at hand, go for this.
          >
          >More info here:
          >http://www.somacon.com/p145.php
          >
          > > If so, is the Redirect syntax correct?
          >
          >It's syntactically correct and works for me.
          >Rudi

          Thanks, Rudolph.

          The info at: http://www.somacon.com/p145.php is a bit over my head, but I
          will see if I can get a handle on it.
          Of the methods listed on the page is one preferable over another? Reasons?

          There is more info here:
          http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articles3/spiders-301-redirect.htm
          It seems "mod_rewrite" is preferred, but it is beyond me.

          -Mike

        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 2006
            Mike,

            > Of the methods listed on the page is one preferable over another? Reasons?

            I'd cascade them like that:

            1. mod_rewrite
            fast, transparent, little effort (per-directory rewrites)
            The 301 header is set, so robots give up on the old page

            2. HTTP header by script (php, asp and the like)
            more effort, because you'd have to touch *every* file that must be
            redirected. But the 301 header is set.

            3. JavaScript and meta refresh
            Least efficient, search engines might remember the old url *forever*
            (and they probably don't follow and index the destination url)

            > It seems "mod_rewrite" is preferred, but it is beyond me.

            mod_rewrite is nifty, but a bit tricky. And it would work best if you
            could express your url changes in a Regex pattern. The example you gave
            in the original post is no help here, if you want to redirect more than
            one page:

            > http://www.mbreiding.us/2006/ERT_2006/fl/parks_hikes/oleno/
            >
            > Redirected to:
            > http://epicroadtrips.us/2006/winter/oleno_state_park/

            (You don't want to create an individual rule for every single page!)

            But as you're mostly using directory names instead of filenames, like
            /2006/ERT_2006/fl/parks_hikes/san_fel/
            , you could rename *all* of your index-files to the extension .php (if
            they're different, like *.htm*) and replace their content with

            <?php
            // Permanent redirection
            header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
            header("Location: http://epicroadtrips.us/path/to/your/file/");
            exit();
            ?>

            (assuming you have php available; it is on the machine though)

            Hope this helps,
            Rudi