Re: [NH] Display question ... ?

  • Red Leader
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 28, 2000
      Bill Scott wrote:

      > Hi All:
      >
      > My name is Bill Scott and I have been off the list for awhile ...
      > any way ... I wrote a page that looks good on my monitor but my
      > friend says that it scrolls off the page on his 19" monitor I used
      > one of the clips in Notetab pro to make the table ... and I only used
      > 900 pixels ... I don't use tables that often so I am wondering if it
      > is best to use a percent or number ?? Also ...I would like to know if
      > any one knows of a tutorial on CSS?

      The monitor size is irrelevant, what matters is what resolution they're
      running. I always use percentage when I use a table for page layout so
      it will will look approximately the same on all resolutions. It's a good
      idea to view your pages in several display modes while developing them,
      especially with tables.

      I checked your page and I'm not real sure what's going on. The text
      isn't wrapping inside the table. I'd try Tidy or Validator to check your
      code, that should show up the problem.

      I'm also interested in finding a good CSS tutorial, I haven't yet.

      ---
      Emmett Hawkins
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 28, 2000
        Thanks Gary... Thanks Emmett ...
        I will try percentage .... I thought resolution was the problem
        myself
        but he was saying he had small font selected ... it looks good on
        my
        laptop too with 600x800 anyway ...

        Bill
        Rom 8:1
      • Red Leader
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 28, 2000
          Bill Scott wrote:
          ... it looks good on my laptop too with 600x800 anyway ...

          I run 600x800 also and it runs off the screen. With Internet Explorer
          there is a horizontal scroll bar, with Netscape it just chops off the
          text that won't fit on the screen. I've never seen that before, it
          shouldn't do that. BTW, I get a broken link for the picture at the top
          of the page, I don't know about everyone else.

          ---
          Emmett Hawkins
        • Janet F.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 28, 2000
            Hi Bill,

            I checked it out on my 19 inch monitor at 800 x 600 rez. It was fine. The
            "Puppy or Puppies links border collie" link/image is blank with a red x
            icon. And, your HOME link is shifted to the left. Other than that, it
            seems to be working fine. No horizontal scroll bar.

            Janet

            > Thanks Gary... Thanks Emmett ...
            > I will try percentage .... I thought resolution was the problem
            > myself
            > but he was saying he had small font selected ... it looks good on
            > my
            > laptop too with 600x800 anyway ...
            >

            > Bill
          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 28, 2000
              Hi All:

              Thanks for the help ...

              the red dot is intentional and the blank picture is waiting for
              graphics to be finished I had one in there but thought it looked
              cleaner without until the one that goes there is finished .... I
              just changed my pages and had tidy clean up the code maybe you
              could look at it now Emmett

              Thanks

              Bill Scott

              Prov. 27:17
            • Red Leader
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 28, 2000
                Bill Scott wrote:

                > the red dot is intentional and the blank picture is waiting for
                > graphics to be finished I had one in there but thought it looked
                > cleaner without until the one that goes there is finished .... I
                > just changed my pages and had tidy clean up the code maybe you
                > could look at it now Emmett

                Looks good to me now, like I think you meant it to look. The code looks
                better too.

                I found a decent, though pretty basic CSS tutorial at
                http://www.quadzilla.com/stylesheets/stylesheets.htm
                It also has a links section to a lot more info.

                I started working with CSS some recently and it's not that hard. The
                worst thing is making sure you use elements that both IE and Netscape
                will interpret correctly.

                ---
                Emmett Hawkins
              • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 28, 2000
                  28/06/00 22:40:33

                  Yes the picture does not come through, and also the text as well as the dots could be
                  links through to wherever they go.

                  Adrian Worsfold

                  web: http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                  email: adrian@...
                • Bob Books
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 20, 2000
                    unsubscribe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 20, 2000
                      Hi Bob,

                      >unsubscribe

                      Try clicking on the unsubscribe link below and send. Thanks.

                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                      The NoteTab and Html List...
                      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                    • Bob Books
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 20, 2000
                        OK, don't forget.... I had offered and am ready to buy lunch when you are ready!

                        Bob