Re: once again - [NH] Re: input attributes Was:[NTB]

  • Kerry Coates
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2006
      John,
      I ran the page in its entirety, and not just the TEST page, through the
      validator you mentioned, http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_validate.asp ,
      and I got this error:

      "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 87 it
      contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other
      words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character
      Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character
      encoding indication. "

      I got the Character Encoding off the Help page. I don't understand Encoding
      values evidently.
      changed??? Do I have spaces where they should not be or something?

      Kerry Coates
      Visit all my websites!
      http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
      http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
      http://www.GamblingStrategyCards.com
      http://www.CharroCoats.com
      http://www.PaulCoatesGuitar.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2006
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Kerry Coates" <kerry@...> wrote:

        > John,
        > I ran the page in its entirety, and not just the TEST page,
        through the
        > validator you mentioned,
        http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_validate.asp ,
        > and I got this error:
        >
        > "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 87 it
        > contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other
        > words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character
        > Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character
        > encoding indication. "
        >
        > I got the Character Encoding off the Help page. I don't understand
        Encoding
        > values evidently.
        should be
        > changed??? Do I have spaces where they should not be or something?

        Anyone looking for a good example of the blind leading the blind?
        This thread might be it! lol

        Kerry I'm admittedly out of my league in what I'm about to say so if
        I'm wrong I hope someone will jump in and correct me. But as I
        understand it, simplified to its utter basics, UTF-8 is essentially
        the same as the plain old fashioned US-ASCII text that most of us use
        in NoteTab. As the far more versatile unicode gradually replaces
        ASCII text, there needs to be ways to encode each character in all the
        different languages supported by unicode.

        In short I believe that validator error message is telling you there's
        at least one illegal character in your document on line 87. I cannot
        tell you what it is as I do not have the actual document you have. In
        NoteTab try turning off the word wrap option then go down to lines 86
        and 87 (some validators start numbering at line 0 so it could be
        NoteTab line 86 or 87) and look for any odd characters on those lines.
        If you see any that look weird, say one that looks like a box, delete
        it. If you find nothing unusual at all try enclosing those lines
        within an html comment so they'll be ignored by the browser and validator.

        John
      • dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2006
          Hi
          Is there a space between "html;charset" or not the ones I have seen there
          is ?
          I got the Character Encoding off the Help page. I don't understand Encoding
          values evidently.

          THANKYOU DAVE M

        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18, 2006
            From a recent postng:

            > I got the Character Encoding off the Help page. I don't understand Encoding
            > values evidently.

            There is an excellent article on Character Encoding at

            http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2006/03/15/do-you-know-your-character-encodings/

            What would cause one to specify utf-8 (Unicode)

            withoout knowing what it is! It would seem to be dangerous.

            Bruce

            Sorry for the subject line - I've no idea how that originated.