Web Server Logs

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2000
      Hi Tabbers!

      eGroups kept having problems sending to my e-mail address, so now, I
      am using the web-only for reading, and just to see what it is like,
      using the web to post.

      Anyway, the non-profit that I webmaster for is switching to a new web
      host soon that is less expensive, but offers lots more features. One
      of the features is access to the web access log. I have not worked
      with these files yet, but have started some research. I have found
      lots of Perl scripts that must be run on the web server as a CGI
      script to get useful information out of the log files.

      I was wondering if anyone is using NoteTab to gather information from
      web logs, and using Perl, Gawk, or just a clip(s). I am sure I could
      write something to glean from the logs, but why re-invent the wheel?

      Or if anyone knows of a good freeware program or script that does not
      have to run on the web server (So far, I have not found one on the
      web). (I think we can run stuff on in the CGI bin, but want to go one
      step at a time).

      Right now, we must rely on a "free" counter that only reports total
      visits to the home page, browser, OS, country, etc. I am looking
      forward to improving the site with access to what page(s) get the
      most hits, and how to re-arrange the site so what should get the most
      hits does.

      TIA!

      Larry Hamilton mailto:Larry_H@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/