Re: [NH] auto play web pages from CD - DVD

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
      On the last exciting episode, aired on 26/3/2006 11:56, Mike Breiding -
      Morgantown WV invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
      > Greetings,
      >
      > Anyone have any info on auto play as it pertains to web pages.
      > I would like to copy a site to a CD and have it auto start when the CD is
      > found by the OS.
      > Same need for DVD.

      Other people are suggesting ways to make the autorun feature work, and
      that's fine. But...

      ...remember that there are *other* problems involved in running HTML
      from a disk. Even if the autorun feature does not work for some reason
      (for instance, running the CD in a non-Windows machine), I suppose you
      would like for the user to be able to click in the main HTML file and
      work from there, am I right?

      Well, there are some pitfalls in that.

      1. MHTML (.MHT) files: bad idea. Although it's a published standard,
      it's not widely supported. AFAIK, only IE and recent beta builds of
      Opera support it. There is an extension for Firefox, but you can't count
      on the user having it. Bottom line: you can't count on the user being
      able to open it.

      2. Centralized resource folders (like having just one CSS file on the
      drive root, or a folder for images). Possible but troublesome. The main
      reason being that there is no standard way to refer to the root of the
      *DRIVE* in the standard HTML/CSS syntax. You can refer to the root of
      the filesystem (a slippery concept depending on the OS your user has),
      or you can refer to a specific drive (like C: or D:), but there's no
      standard way to refer to anything equivalent to the DOS/Windows syntax
      as \images\button.gif. The way IE does it is nonstandard, and not
      supported by Firefox, for instance.
      The workaround is to NEVER use absolute paths. Use relative paths, or
      put the auxiliary (images, CSS and such) files right there in the same
      folder (which is usually bad practice, by the way), or put the styles
      inside the HTML (roughly equivalent to the former). The main trouble
      with relative paths, of course, is that if you move an HTML file to a
      different folder level, you have to remember to correct the paths.

      3. Nonstandard HTML can make your disk break badly. Same rules apply
      than for coding for the Web, roughly -- but remember that you won't be
      able to patch it after you burn the disc. So, be keen on the "best
      practices" -- standard HTML, no proprietary crap, validate everything,
      and test, test, test, test. If possible, test on Linux and Mac, with
      Safari, KDE, Opera, Firefox and IE.

      MCBastos
      -