RE: [NH] auto play web pages from CD - DVD

  • dmoore@demoorehuis.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26, 2006
      I use a program called "Make CDRom" for menus (which includes an autorun
      file) and use the Inno setup compiler to create install routines but you can
      also use a Shellexe option such as @ http://www.WhirlyWiryWeb.com

      Lots of options... Google "autorun HTML" gets a ton of options too

      (the CDs we ship are basically a mirror of our website - this has been a
      simple and inexpensive solution for us as a non-profit org.)

      David
      http://www.aibi.org

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 26, 2006
        If you have a file called autorun.ini on the CD, it controls what
        program starts when the CD is inserted.

        Use the default path to Internet Explorer, or just us the name of the IE
        Executable, and tell it what file to start with. That is, use the proper
        command line usage to open a web page in IE.

        There is also a CD based version of FireFox that might do the trick. I
        have not used it, but it may do what you want.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        Jeffery Scism wrote:
        > I havea program that allows a webpage to be self initiating on a CD-rom.
        >
        > It is called Browsercall.exe
        >
        > it runs when put on the CD-rom root directory with a autorun.inf file
        > that says only:
        >
        > [autorun]
        > open=browsercall.exe iexplore&CDREPLACEindex.html
        >
        > Jeff
        >

        > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

      • dave
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
          Hi
          autorun is the way it is free ,once you set it running straight html does
          the rest ,set it to use Internet Explorer as Larry has said and if you want
          to save the site use save as .mht
          ,IE7 does this not sure about IE6 ,as you save each page to mht you will end
          with one file per page no folders ,mht saves the images in the page but you
          will have to set up the links ??
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > Anyone have any info on auto play as it pertains to web pages.
          > I would like to copy a site to a CD and have it auto start when the CD is
          > found by the OS.
          > Same need for DVD.
          >
          > What about menus for CD and or DVDs? Never been in the territory before
          > so
          > I am clueless.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > -Mike
          >

          > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
            > autorun is the way it is free
            > ,IE7 does this not sure about IE6

            I understand that IE6 will autorun an HTML file, but earlier versions do
            not.

            Greg
          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
              On the last exciting episode, aired on 26/3/2006 11:56, Mike Breiding -
              Morgantown WV invited the wrath of the gods by saying:
              > Greetings,
              >
              > Anyone have any info on auto play as it pertains to web pages.
              > I would like to copy a site to a CD and have it auto start when the CD is
              > found by the OS.
              > Same need for DVD.

              Other people are suggesting ways to make the autorun feature work, and
              that's fine. But...

              ...remember that there are *other* problems involved in running HTML
              from a disk. Even if the autorun feature does not work for some reason
              (for instance, running the CD in a non-Windows machine), I suppose you
              would like for the user to be able to click in the main HTML file and
              work from there, am I right?

              Well, there are some pitfalls in that.

              1. MHTML (.MHT) files: bad idea. Although it's a published standard,
              it's not widely supported. AFAIK, only IE and recent beta builds of
              Opera support it. There is an extension for Firefox, but you can't count
              on the user having it. Bottom line: you can't count on the user being
              able to open it.

              2. Centralized resource folders (like having just one CSS file on the
              drive root, or a folder for images). Possible but troublesome. The main
              reason being that there is no standard way to refer to the root of the
              *DRIVE* in the standard HTML/CSS syntax. You can refer to the root of
              the filesystem (a slippery concept depending on the OS your user has),
              or you can refer to a specific drive (like C: or D:), but there's no
              standard way to refer to anything equivalent to the DOS/Windows syntax
              as \images\button.gif. The way IE does it is nonstandard, and not
              supported by Firefox, for instance.
              The workaround is to NEVER use absolute paths. Use relative paths, or
              put the auxiliary (images, CSS and such) files right there in the same
              folder (which is usually bad practice, by the way), or put the styles
              inside the HTML (roughly equivalent to the former). The main trouble
              with relative paths, of course, is that if you move an HTML file to a
              different folder level, you have to remember to correct the paths.

              3. Nonstandard HTML can make your disk break badly. Same rules apply
              than for coding for the Web, roughly -- but remember that you won't be
              able to patch it after you burn the disc. So, be keen on the "best
              practices" -- standard HTML, no proprietary crap, validate everything,
              and test, test, test, test. If possible, test on Linux and Mac, with
              Safari, KDE, Opera, Firefox and IE.

              MCBastos
              -