Re: [NH] Display USNO Clock

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
      Hi Dave and Ed,

      Thanks for the replies.

      <<what is this Display USNO I can not find it.?>>

      When you go to the following URL>>
      www.asterism.org/skyconditions/skyconusno.htm

      you will see a small placeholder under the Sperry Observatory Clear Sky Clock.
      If you click on that placeholder, you will go to the USNO clock at>>>
      http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

      My problem is that the Sperry clock always comes up with the correct day and
      time appropriate for when the user opens the page, but the USNO clock doesn't
      appear unless one clicks on the placeholder. Yes, I could have incorporated a
      graphic where the placeholder is, but what I really want is the USNO clock to
      appear there.

      I'm wondering whether I need to copy some of the HTML from the USNO clock page
      onto my page. Would that accomplish my goal?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
    • dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2006
        Hi
        you would have to get the bit you want including the Java and do not forget
        to get the images they refer to as well or use your own images . On your
        page you only have the link ,when the other page starts there is a onload
        command .?
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > <<what is this Display USNO I can not find it.?>>
        >
        > When you go to the following URL>>
        > www.asterism.org/skyconditions/skyconusno.htm
        >
        > you will see a small placeholder under the Sperry Observatory Clear Sky
        > Clock.
        > If you click on that placeholder, you will go to the USNO clock at>>>
        > http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
        >
        > My problem is that the Sperry clock always comes up with the correct day
        > and
        > time appropriate for when the user opens the page, but the USNO clock
        > doesn't
        > appear unless one clicks on the placeholder. Yes, I could have
        > incorporated a
        > graphic where the placeholder is, but what I really want is the USNO clock
        > appear there.
        >
        > I'm wondering whether I need to copy some of the HTML from the USNO clock
        > page
        > onto my page. Would that accomplish my goal?
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        >

        > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 18, 2006
          Hi Dave M,

          <<you would have to get the bit you want including the Java and do not forget
          to get the images they refer to as well >>

          That means I can't do what I want. I don't have access to the Java or the
          images.

          Thanks for the help.

          Ray Shapp
        • dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
            Hi
            the only way you might do it would be to link your page to it ,so that when
            your page loads it loads their page as well .I think you would have to put
            a onload instruction on the top of your page and refer to their page, this
            means when I click on your page the bottom half will load theirs .
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
              Hi Dave,

              Thanks for the reply

              <<put a onload instruction on the top of your page and refer to their page,
              this means when I click on your page the bottom half will load theirs . >>

              I found a different USNO clock that will launch automatically on my website.
              I runs for only a maximum of 30 seconds, and it doesn't display in MSIE. For
              many users, the quick sample of correct time will be sufficient because most
              users go to that page for other reasons. Because of its shortcomings,
              however, I have provided a separate link to the full-blown USNO clock which
              runs continuously on all browsers. The link launches a separate instance of
              the browser, and displays the world-wide areas of darkness and light as well
              as the correct time.

              Regards,

              Ray Shapp