Re: [NH] Display USNO Clock

  • dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
      Hi
      do not get what you mean the clear sky clock comes straight up ,click on the
      link your there .what is this Display USNO I can not find it.?
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
        Hi
        think I found the clock right click on the page and view source take the bit
        you want and add it to the bottom or top of your page.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > When a user clicks on the "Sky Guide" menu item on the AAI site at
        > www.asterism.org, he/she gets a current display of the Clear Sky Clock for
        > Sperry Observatory. I want to provide an animated clock from the USNO
        > showing
        > accurate current time and a world map showing areas of sunlight and
        > darkness.
        > The following test page contains a correct link to the USNO site>>
        >
        > www.asterism.org/skyconditions/skyconusno.htm
        >
        > but the user must click on an icon to bring up the clock on a new instance
        > of
        > the browser.
        >
        > Can you show me how to incorporate the USNO clock on the first page the
        > user
        > sees when he/she clicks on Sky Guide at >>
        >
        > www.asterism.org/skyconditions/skycon01.htm
        >
        > In other words, I want the user to see both the Clear Sky Clock and the
        > USNO
        > clock by making no additional clicks just by visiting our Sky Guide page
        > at
        > www.asterism.org.
        >

        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        >

        > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

      • Ed
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
          You may have to look really close, I finally saw it at the bottom of the
          page. Then you can click on an icon to see it clearly.
          Ed
          do not get what you mean the clear sky clock comes straight up ,click on the
          link your there .what is this Display USNO I can not find it.?
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > When a user clicks on the "Sky Guide" menu item on the AAI site at
          > www.asterism.org, he/she gets a current display of the Clear Sky Clock for
          > Sperry Observatory. I want to provide an animated clock from the USNO
          > showing
          > accurate current time and a world map showing areas of sunlight and
          > darkness.
          > The following test page contains a correct link to the USNO site>>
          >
          > www.asterism.org/skyconditions/skyconusno.htm
          >
          > but the user must click on an icon to bring up the clock on a new instance
          > of
          > the browser.
          >
          > Can you show me how to incorporate the USNO clock on the first page the
          > user
          > sees when he/she clicks on Sky Guide at >>
          >
          > www.asterism.org/skyconditions/skycon01.htm
          >
          > In other words, I want the user to see both the Clear Sky Clock and the
          > USNO
          > clock by making no additional clicks just by visiting our Sky Guide page
          > at
          > www.asterism.org.
          >

          > Thanks for the help.
          >
          > Ray Shapp
          >

          > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

          CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:
          http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006
            Hi Dave and Ed,

            Thanks for the replies.

            <<what is this Display USNO I can not find it.?>>

            When you go to the following URL>>
            www.asterism.org/skyconditions/skyconusno.htm

            you will see a small placeholder under the Sperry Observatory Clear Sky Clock.
            If you click on that placeholder, you will go to the USNO clock at>>>
            http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

            My problem is that the Sperry clock always comes up with the correct day and
            time appropriate for when the user opens the page, but the USNO clock doesn't
            appear unless one clicks on the placeholder. Yes, I could have incorporated a
            graphic where the placeholder is, but what I really want is the USNO clock to
            appear there.

            I'm wondering whether I need to copy some of the HTML from the USNO clock page
            onto my page. Would that accomplish my goal?

            Thanks for the help.

            Ray Shapp
          • dave
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17, 2006
              Hi
              you would have to get the bit you want including the Java and do not forget
              to get the images they refer to as well or use your own images . On your
              page you only have the link ,when the other page starts there is a onload
              command .?
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 18, 2006
                Hi Dave M,

                <<you would have to get the bit you want including the Java and do not forget
                to get the images they refer to as well >>

                That means I can't do what I want. I don't have access to the Java or the
                images.

                Thanks for the help.

                Ray Shapp
              • dave
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
                  Hi
                  the only way you might do it would be to link your page to it ,so that when
                  your page loads it loads their page as well .I think you would have to put
                  a onload instruction on the top of your page and refer to their page, this
                  means when I click on your page the bottom half will load theirs .
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
                    Hi Dave,

                    Thanks for the reply

                    <<put a onload instruction on the top of your page and refer to their page,
                    this means when I click on your page the bottom half will load theirs . >>

                    I found a different USNO clock that will launch automatically on my website.
                    I runs for only a maximum of 30 seconds, and it doesn't display in MSIE. For
                    many users, the quick sample of correct time will be sufficient because most
                    users go to that page for other reasons. Because of its shortcomings,
                    however, I have provided a separate link to the full-blown USNO clock which
                    runs continuously on all browsers. The link launches a separate instance of
                    the browser, and displays the world-wide areas of darkness and light as well
                    as the correct time.

                    Regards,

                    Ray Shapp