[NH] Re: Remove underline from 'link'

  • Glenn Dixon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
      I'm not sure where this discussion started, but I'd like to jump in :o)

      Underlined links have become a defacto standard. I agree with Nicole that
      the "click here" lingo is a bit old and I like her examples. Also, I think
      images and buttons are perfectly valid for links, but there needs to be some
      sort of highlighting so that you KNOW it is a link. I really don't like
      sites where I have to run my mouse cursor EVERYWHERE just to discover what
      is a link and what isn't.

      > Grant wrote:
      > > <IMHO> I disagree with Nicole about removing underlining for links.
      > > The underlining of hyperlinked text has now become a arbitary
      > visual aid.
      > > Linked images and form buttons are everywhere and the newbe
      > > soon learns "when the default cursor turns to a pointer I can click."
      >
      > Writing websites does not mean to have the links like this
      > If you want to get a description of my text click _here_
      > If you want a screenshot click _here_.
      >
      > It should be
      > You can get a _description_ of my text or see a _screenshot_.
      >
      > Most of the time the people who don't like them underlined find it good to
      > have link and vlink in the same color. So, if you have many textlines, do
      > you really go over _every_ line to get all links?
      >
      > Or wouldn't it be much easier to see at once the links, hm?
      >
      > Nicole
      >

      > --
      > »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
      > enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
      > Anthony V. Vitale

      > FreeShop is the #1 place for free and trial offers and great deals!
      > Try something new and discover more ways to save!
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/381
      >

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Grey Cat
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
        > mkelly@... wrote:
        (I am doing a humungous index within a table for a web site and it just
        doesn't look right with each entry underlined). Thanks!</html>

        I have found that making a few words the link so that the underline doesn't
        go on the full description makes the visual better to my eye.

        Cat

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Raymond Fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
          Hi all,

          I too prefer underlining links and conceded on just one page--our Intranet's
          site map--on which everything is a link. But an index-type page full of
          links doesn't necessarily look bad, esp. if the length of the underlining
          isn't too long. As an example, check out this Resources page:
          http://stc.org/region5/asc/www/resource.htm. (I'd been trying to find "All
          Things Web" (http://www.pantos.org/atw/) but forgot the name and lost my
          Netscape bookmark file to boot! So naturally I was really glad this page is
          still out there.)

          Without underlining, you might also consider having the text change color as
          the mouse pointer moves over each link. This'll work (at least on our site
          with everyone on IE4):

          onmousemove="changeSpan(this, 'red')">Text text</span></a>

          Cheers,
          Ray

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
            Hi All,

            I lost the post that had somebody asking where they could get
            more information on Style Sheets. This is in HTMLib's basic
            section on them:

            NOTE : Presented here is a brief overview of the Style Sheet
            specification. For a more complete (and possibly new) reference,
            visit the Style Sheet resource page at the W3C (at
            http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/). Also, Microsoft have produced
            an excellent "Users guide to stylesheets" document avaiable from
            the Microsoft Web Development Workshop web site at
            http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/

            Thanks!
            Jody

            The NoteTab and Html List...