Re: [NH] Help with CSS --- Inheritance problems .... cannot see links in drop down

  • Philip Pawley
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
      sisterscape wrote:
      > Wouldn't it be better to put the links in a list rather than divs?
      > Makes more sense semantically.
      Agreed. Of course, it makes absolutely no difference to the site
      visitor: they see exactly the same thing either way.
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
        Philip Pawley schrieb am 13.02.2006 00:12:
        > Agreed. Of course, it makes absolutely no difference to the site
        > visitor: they see exactly the same thing either way.

        On a "standard" client, for "standard" users, that is.

        Semantically adequate tagging is important for non-visual
        representations. (Screen readers and the like.)

        Rudi
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
          Ah! You beat me to the punch line!!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
            I still don't understand what you want to do but...

            Don wrote:
            >For all but the left two, when you hover, a drop down menu drops below
            >the button. That part is working, but they will not have images, so I
            >want the words of the links to appear. They aren't because the coding I
            >put to hide the links in the top image row are carrying over.

            No, that's not what's happening. This rule:

            #menu a {display:block; padding-top:24px; height:0; color:#000;
            text-decoration:none;}

            applies to _all_ A inside #menu, i.e. all your links. You set the height to
            0 and the padding to 24px. That effectively moves the text of each "item"
            down one notch, 24 pixels to be exact. All that remains where the text
            would have been is the padding. If no other styles were used you would see
            an empty box at top. Where you'd expect the second link you'd see the first
            and so on and the last link would appear below the whole construct. But now
            you also apply 'over-flow: hidden' to those links. Since all text
            overflows, all text is hidden and what you have is a stack of top-paddings.

            Lotta
          • dave
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
              Hi
              the drop down menu's work fine in IE7 I assume they drop down and leave a
              space for were it goes to,
              the first 2 don't work.
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
                Well, the dropdowns don't work in IE 6. BTW, there are no dropdowns on
                the first two items. ;)

                http://mail.yahoo.com