Re: [NH] Help with CSS --- Inheritance problems .... cannot see links in drop down

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
      Well, first off, the dropdowns work in FF but NOT in IE. The little
      snippet of Javascript that I referred to before is needed to get them
      working in IE.

      Again I suggest you check out the various menus and rollovers at
      http://www.pmob.co.uk/ Paul is pure genius. If you look at his code,
      I'm sure you'll get some ideas about how to fix things. If you want to
      ask him yourself, hop over to the CSS forum at
      http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53 As I said
      before, I have difficulty wrapping my brain around CSS rollovers so
      just unapologetically rely on code created by others. ;)

      sisterscape

      --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

      > For all but the left two, when you hover, a drop down menu drops
      > below
      > the button. That part is working, but they will not have images, so
      > want the words of the links to appear. They aren't because the
      > coding I
      > put to hide the links in the top image row are carrying over. Try
      > taking that line out once ... then is it close to right for the lower
      >
      > half. How do I get both.
      >
      > I will put them in a nested ul sister I agree with you and that will
      > remove the need for my badly coded br's as well Phillip.
      >
      > More help? Please ...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
        sisterscape wrote:
        > Well, first off, the dropdowns work in FF but NOT in IE. The little
        > snippet of Javascript that I referred to before is needed to get them
        > working in IE.

        Nope, javascript is not an option. I am using ie7 on this machine and
        they work fine. I have not put this particular one to the test on ie 6
        ... but that isn't what I wanted to hear. I know for some rollovers
        they used a .hta file with ie6. I guess I need to go grab another
        computer and try it in ie6.

        Thanks for the other suggestions. I know this can be done in pure css
        ... I just need to figure out how.
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
          Yeah, it's a bummer that IE 6 can't do CSS properly. Unfortunately, IE
          6 will be with us for years to come. :( I have only seen CSS
          dropdowns for IE 6 done with Javascript never an .hta file but that's
          not to say it couldn't be done that way.

          If you ever come up with a solution that works in IE 6 and 7, I hope
          you'll be willing to share. :D

          --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

          > sisterscape wrote:
          > > Well, first off, the dropdowns work in FF but NOT in IE. The little
          > > snippet of Javascript that I referred to before is needed to get
          > them
          > > working in IE.
          > >
          > Nope, javascript is not an option. I am using ie7 on this machine
          > and
          > they work fine. I have not put this particular one to the test on ie
          > 6
          > ... but that isn't what I wanted to hear. I know for some rollovers
          > they used a .hta file with ie6. I guess I need to go grab another
          > computer and try it in ie6.
          >
          > Thanks for the other suggestions. I know this can be done in pure
          > css
          > ... I just need to figure out how.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Philip Pawley
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
            sisterscape wrote:
            > Wouldn't it be better to put the links in a list rather than divs?
            > Makes more sense semantically.
            Agreed. Of course, it makes absolutely no difference to the site
            visitor: they see exactly the same thing either way.
          • Rudolf Horbas
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
              Philip Pawley schrieb am 13.02.2006 00:12:
              > Agreed. Of course, it makes absolutely no difference to the site
              > visitor: they see exactly the same thing either way.

              On a "standard" client, for "standard" users, that is.

              Semantically adequate tagging is important for non-visual
              representations. (Screen readers and the like.)

              Rudi
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
                Ah! You beat me to the punch line!!

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
                  I still don't understand what you want to do but...

                  Don wrote:
                  >For all but the left two, when you hover, a drop down menu drops below
                  >the button. That part is working, but they will not have images, so I
                  >want the words of the links to appear. They aren't because the coding I
                  >put to hide the links in the top image row are carrying over.

                  No, that's not what's happening. This rule:

                  #menu a {display:block; padding-top:24px; height:0; color:#000;
                  text-decoration:none;}

                  applies to _all_ A inside #menu, i.e. all your links. You set the height to
                  0 and the padding to 24px. That effectively moves the text of each "item"
                  down one notch, 24 pixels to be exact. All that remains where the text
                  would have been is the padding. If no other styles were used you would see
                  an empty box at top. Where you'd expect the second link you'd see the first
                  and so on and the last link would appear below the whole construct. But now
                  you also apply 'over-flow: hidden' to those links. Since all text
                  overflows, all text is hidden and what you have is a stack of top-paddings.

                  Lotta
                • dave
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
                    Hi
                    the drop down menu's work fine in IE7 I assume they drop down and leave a
                    space for were it goes to,
                    the first 2 don't work.
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                    > Well, first off, the dropdowns work in FF but NOT in IE. The little
                    > snippet of Javascript that I referred to before is needed to get them
                    > working in IE.
                    >
                    > Again I suggest you check out the various menus and rollovers at
                    > http://www.pmob.co.uk/ Paul is pure genius. If you look at his code,
                    > I'm sure you'll get some ideas about how to fix things. If you want to
                    > ask him yourself, hop over to the CSS forum at
                    > http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53 As I said
                    > before, I have difficulty wrapping my brain around CSS rollovers so
                    > just unapologetically rely on code created by others. ;)
                    >
                    > sisterscape
                    >
                    > --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> For all but the left two, when you hover, a drop down menu drops
                    >> below
                    >> the button. That part is working, but they will not have images, so
                    >> want the words of the links to appear. They aren't because the
                    >> coding I
                    >> put to hide the links in the top image row are carrying over. Try
                    >> taking that line out once ... then is it close to right for the lower
                    >>
                    >> half. How do I get both.
                    >>
                    >> I will put them in a nested ul sister I agree with you and that will
                    >> remove the need for my badly coded br's as well Phillip.
                    >>
                    >> More help? Please ...

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    >

                    > CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free:

                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 12, 2006
                      Well, the dropdowns don't work in IE 6. BTW, there are no dropdowns on
                      the first two items. ;)

                      http://mail.yahoo.com