Re: [NH] Warning: expected "html PUBLIC"

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2000
      > I took off the last half of the following, because I thought
      > it was a like to www.w3.org and those are the guys causing me
      > all these headaches. ;)

      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

      DOCTYPE the type of document in your case is a PUBLIC document based on the
      HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD.
      first quote is the name of the DTD
      "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
      the 2nd quote is the url where the DTD can be found.
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"

      .The DTD (document type definition) defines exactly what elements and
      attributes can be contained in your document.
      When you validate a document you validate it against the DTD that the
      document is linked to.

      If you set the doctype to system then you can locate the DTD on your
      harddrive.
      <!DOCTYPE HTML system "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
      "C:\dtds\loose.dtd">

      There is nothing stopping you altering this local DTD and give certain
      elements attributes like TOPMARGIN, BORDERCOLOR or any other attributes you
      like so it will comply to a certain propriety browser. If you use these
      attrributes in your document and defined these attributes in the DTD then
      your document would VALIDATE. In short validation has got nothing to do with
      how a browser displays your documents but whether or not it complies to a
      DTD.

      IMHO every HTML clipbook library should be based on a DTD.The xhtml library
      being based on the xhtml strict DTD is an example how this can be done. In
      fact the library is an attempt to translate a DTD into a clip library.
      If you want to check it out the xhtml library is available at.
      www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2000
        > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//w3c//dtd HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "E:\NoteTab
        Pro\loose.dtd">

        If you want to customise the DTD Doctype needs to be set to system not
        public.
        <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM

        The following article shows how you can validate your document by
        customising a DTD
        http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/customdtd.html

        you also might want to check out the discusion of the difference between
        lints and validators.
        http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/differences.html

        >I tried the following in my .dtd file with and without %Color;
        >but Tidy still reports it. ???

        TIDY doesn't lay claim to be a validator and as far I am aware it is not DTD
        aware. It just checks that your markup is wellformed and that it complies
        with w3c recomendations.
        I'm not quite sure whether customising the DTD would work with the cse
        validator The above article says it is a lint not a real.validator.

        Just checked the CSE site.....
        In a reply to a post the CSE author Albert Wiersch said

        "CSE does not read DTDs.

        I will look into XHTML more for the next major upgrade. There are some
        features you can check now to help you:
        XML Compatibility
        Require optional closing tags
        Require lowercase tags and attributes
        Require quoted attribute values

        I think checking the above will help. Those options are in the Validator 2
        tab in the Validator Engine Options. "
        http://www.htmlvalidator.com/phorum/read.php3?num=4&id=46&loc=1&thread=45&
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2000
          Hi Grant,

          > If you want to customise the DTD Doctype needs to be set to
          > system not public.
          > <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM

          Ah, maybe that is my problem. ;)

          >> I tried the following in my .dtd file with and without %Color;
          >> but Tidy still reports it. ???
          >
          > TIDY doesn't lay claim to be a validator and as far I am aware
          > it is not DTD aware.

          OH, I must have misunderstood you. I was trying to get Tidy not
          to check for bordercolor...

          > Just checked the CSE site.....
          > In a reply to a post the CSE author Albert Wiersch said
          >
          > "CSE does not read DTDs.

          I know. :) Tidy is the one complaining.

          > I will look into XHTML more for the next major upgrade.

          OK, but that won't interest me. I won't use all lowercase until
          forced to. The reason I asked before about using your library
          and then making it all upper tag, lower attribute was I would
          get a strict validation, but then change the case and change
          <!DocType after that.

          Thanks!
          Jody

          Clean-Funnies: click and send...