Re: [NH] Re: Warning: expected "html PUBLIC"

    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2000
      Hi Michael,

      > You are not under the law! Yet you might find the law to be
      > useful.
      >
      > Bottom line: use validation to write good code. Break specs
      > when you know the consequences and take responsibility for them.

      Thanks - that is the way I was starting to feel - that I was
      under the law.

      I guess I wanted w3c to say like my boy would say, "Good job
      Jody" since everybody else is happy, even Bobby. :)

      I guess I could take it could, save, and hit my upload icon on my
      Clipbar, validate so I get my pat on the back, undo the changes,
      save, and upload. <bg> I could do that faster in NoteTab than
      some people would take to find their ftp program. :)

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2000
        > I took off the last half of the following, because I thought
        > it was a like to www.w3.org and those are the guys causing me
        > all these headaches. ;)

        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

        DOCTYPE the type of document in your case is a PUBLIC document based on the
        HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD.
        first quote is the name of the DTD
        "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
        the 2nd quote is the url where the DTD can be found.
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"

        .The DTD (document type definition) defines exactly what elements and
        attributes can be contained in your document.
        When you validate a document you validate it against the DTD that the
        document is linked to.

        If you set the doctype to system then you can locate the DTD on your
        harddrive.
        <!DOCTYPE HTML system "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
        "C:\dtds\loose.dtd">

        There is nothing stopping you altering this local DTD and give certain
        elements attributes like TOPMARGIN, BORDERCOLOR or any other attributes you
        like so it will comply to a certain propriety browser. If you use these
        attrributes in your document and defined these attributes in the DTD then
        your document would VALIDATE. In short validation has got nothing to do with
        how a browser displays your documents but whether or not it complies to a
        DTD.

        IMHO every HTML clipbook library should be based on a DTD.The xhtml library
        being based on the xhtml strict DTD is an example how this can be done. In
        fact the library is an attempt to translate a DTD into a clip library.
        If you want to check it out the xhtml library is available at.
        www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2000
          > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//w3c//dtd HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "E:\NoteTab
          Pro\loose.dtd">

          If you want to customise the DTD Doctype needs to be set to system not
          public.
          <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM

          The following article shows how you can validate your document by
          customising a DTD
          http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/customdtd.html

          you also might want to check out the discusion of the difference between
          lints and validators.
          http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/differences.html

          >I tried the following in my .dtd file with and without %Color;
          >but Tidy still reports it. ???

          TIDY doesn't lay claim to be a validator and as far I am aware it is not DTD
          aware. It just checks that your markup is wellformed and that it complies
          with w3c recomendations.
          I'm not quite sure whether customising the DTD would work with the cse
          validator The above article says it is a lint not a real.validator.

          Just checked the CSE site.....
          In a reply to a post the CSE author Albert Wiersch said

          "CSE does not read DTDs.

          I will look into XHTML more for the next major upgrade. There are some
          features you can check now to help you:
          XML Compatibility
          Require optional closing tags
          Require lowercase tags and attributes
          Require quoted attribute values

          I think checking the above will help. Those options are in the Validator 2
          tab in the Validator Engine Options. "
          http://www.htmlvalidator.com/phorum/read.php3?num=4&id=46&loc=1&thread=45&
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2000
            Hi Grant,

            > If you want to customise the DTD Doctype needs to be set to
            > system not public.
            > <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM

            Ah, maybe that is my problem. ;)

            >> I tried the following in my .dtd file with and without %Color;
            >> but Tidy still reports it. ???
            >
            > TIDY doesn't lay claim to be a validator and as far I am aware
            > it is not DTD aware.

            OH, I must have misunderstood you. I was trying to get Tidy not
            to check for bordercolor...

            > Just checked the CSE site.....
            > In a reply to a post the CSE author Albert Wiersch said
            >
            > "CSE does not read DTDs.

            I know. :) Tidy is the one complaining.

            > I will look into XHTML more for the next major upgrade.

            OK, but that won't interest me. I won't use all lowercase until
            forced to. The reason I asked before about using your library
            and then making it all upper tag, lower attribute was I would
            get a strict validation, but then change the case and change
            <!DocType after that.

            Thanks!
            Jody

            Clean-Funnies: click and send...