Re: [NH] Photoshop scratch disks

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
      sisterscape wrote:
      > I'm hoping you guys (and gals) can give me the low down on scratch
      > disks
      >
      > Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
      > when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I trying
      > to open big files.
      >
      > Over 85% of my 80 gig drive is free and I have 1 gig of RAM. XP said I
      > didn't need to defrag but I did anyway hoping it would fix things but
      > no. So what's up with this? And what prompted it to start with that
      > message out of the blue? Maybe I should reinstall?

      Usually when it complains about scratch disk space you are running low
      on disk resources. Not always. There should be a setting in photoshop
      for how big you want your scratch disk space allocated to be. You
      typically need 3-5 times the complete size of all open files to be
      available. If you are working on a few big files, you can quickly jam up
      against those limits.
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
        Yes, I saw that and bookmarked it. However, I wasn't editing a file or
        trying to open one. Just opening PS.

        --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

        > sisterscape wrote:
        > >Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
        > >when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I
        > trying
        > >to open big files.
        >
        > I've never used PS, but I've read it uses its own scratch file. Top
        > of
        > Google, don't know if it applies to your problem.
        >
        > <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/316693.html>
        >
        > Lotta

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
          If you will go to help in Photoshop or go to the PS forums, there are several, but they have some people on there who are smart mouth and like to produce little flames. I am fortunate and I have two hard drives both in Gigs in my computer, one of which that I seldom use and I made it
          the scratch disk and since then I have had not scratch disk problems. The help in Photoshop will explain about the scratch disk area and recommend that you use another drive.
          Ed

          --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

          > sisterscape wrote:
          > >Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
          > >when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I
          > trying
          > >to open big files.
          >
          > I've never used PS, but I've read it uses its own scratch file. Top
          > of
          > Google, don't know if it applies to your problem.
          >
          > <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/316693.html>
          >
          > Lotta

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
            I did designate a second hard drive as a scratch disk. My real
            question/concern is why it happened out of the blue after a year of
            perfect functioning when nothing was out of the ordinary. What
            triggered it? If there is an underlying cause, I want to address it.

            --- Ed <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

            > If you will go to help in Photoshop or go to the PS forums, there are
            > several, but they have some people on there who are smart mouth and
            > like to produce little flames. I am fortunate and I have two hard
            > drives both in Gigs in my computer, one of which that I seldom use
            > and I made it
            > the scratch disk and since then I have had not scratch disk problems.
            > The help in Photoshop will explain about the scratch disk area and
            > recommend that you use another drive.
            > Ed

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
              sisterscape wrote:
              > I did designate a second hard drive as a scratch disk. My real
              > question/concern is why it happened out of the blue after a year of
              > perfect functioning when nothing was out of the ordinary. What
              > triggered it? If there is an underlying cause, I want to address it.

              I would guess that you had something not close right. If you were able
              to get it to start, then I would not worry unless the behavior repeats
              itself.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
                Hi All,

                After a few more messages please be kind enough and take this to
                the off topic list or to the PhotoShop list. <g> I know all you
                guys and gals are better techs than them, <vbg> but nevertheless,
                they can probably help you faster. TIA

                As far as why did it happen after a year or so of use all of the
                sudden, things like that happen all the time on computers no
                matter what the OS is, no matter what brand of hardware, no
                matter how the person holds their mouth (although I think that
                plays a major part in these ghostly phantoms! :)

                How you all had great holidays for those that celebrate any of
                them that just passed. The next big one is this month on the
                29th. That is the day everybody on the lists send Jody a birthday
                present. LOL

                > I did designate a second hard drive as a scratch disk. My real
                > question/concern is why it happened out of the blue after a
                > year of perfect functioning when nothing was out of the
                > ordinary. What triggered it? If there is an underlying cause,
                > I want to address it.

                http://www.notetab.net
                http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
                Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
                  Jody wrote:
                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > As far as why did it happen after a year or so of use all of the
                  > sudden, things like that happen all the time on computers no
                  > matter what the OS is, no matter what brand of hardware, no
                  > matter how the person holds their mouth (although I think that
                  > plays a major part in these ghostly phantoms! :)
                  >
                  > How you all had great holidays for those that celebrate any of
                  > them that just passed. The next big one is this month on the
                  > 29th. That is the day everybody on the lists send Jody a birthday
                  > present. LOL
                  >
                  > Happy HTML'n!
                  > Jody

                  Jody, sister,

                  Things may, and do, happen like this quite frequently, especially if
                  Windows is your OS and your OS is set to update automatically. Within
                  the past few days Windows has put out a patch, allegedly for their
                  metafile system.

                  Any update at any time might produce no result, similar results, or,
                  very drastic results. These updates may affect few computers or a large
                  number of computers.

                  Of course, if you don't auto-update this point is moot.

                  I'm CC'ing this to Off-Topic.

                  ºvº
                  06.01.13
                  'Cooking III:'
                  'How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People.'
                  hrs ø hsavage@...