Photoshop scratch disks

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
      I'm hoping you guys (and gals) can give me the low down on scratch
      disks

      Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
      when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I trying
      to open big files.

      Over 85% of my 80 gig drive is free and I have 1 gig of RAM. XP said I
      didn't need to defrag but I did anyway hoping it would fix things but
      no. So what's up with this? And what prompted it to start with that
      message out of the blue? Maybe I should reinstall?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
        sisterscape wrote:
        >Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
        >when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I trying
        >to open big files.

        I've never used PS, but I've read it uses its own scratch file. Top of
        Google, don't know if it applies to your problem.

        <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/316693.html>

        Lotta
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
          sisterscape wrote:
          > I'm hoping you guys (and gals) can give me the low down on scratch
          > disks
          >
          > Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
          > when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I trying
          > to open big files.
          >
          > Over 85% of my 80 gig drive is free and I have 1 gig of RAM. XP said I
          > didn't need to defrag but I did anyway hoping it would fix things but
          > no. So what's up with this? And what prompted it to start with that
          > message out of the blue? Maybe I should reinstall?

          Usually when it complains about scratch disk space you are running low
          on disk resources. Not always. There should be a setting in photoshop
          for how big you want your scratch disk space allocated to be. You
          typically need 3-5 times the complete size of all open files to be
          available. If you are working on a few big files, you can quickly jam up
          against those limits.
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
            Yes, I saw that and bookmarked it. However, I wasn't editing a file or
            trying to open one. Just opening PS.

            --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > sisterscape wrote:
            > >Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
            > >when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I
            > trying
            > >to open big files.
            >
            > I've never used PS, but I've read it uses its own scratch file. Top
            > of
            > Google, don't know if it applies to your problem.
            >
            > <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/316693.html>
            >
            > Lotta

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Ed
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
              If you will go to help in Photoshop or go to the PS forums, there are several, but they have some people on there who are smart mouth and like to produce little flames. I am fortunate and I have two hard drives both in Gigs in my computer, one of which that I seldom use and I made it
              the scratch disk and since then I have had not scratch disk problems. The help in Photoshop will explain about the scratch disk area and recommend that you use another drive.
              Ed

              --- loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

              > sisterscape wrote:
              > >Yesterday, Photoshop 7 started to complain about scratch disk space
              > >when it loaded. I had made no changes in the settings nor was I
              > trying
              > >to open big files.
              >
              > I've never used PS, but I've read it uses its own scratch file. Top
              > of
              > Google, don't know if it applies to your problem.
              >
              > <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/316693.html>
              >
              > Lotta

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              CSE HTML Validator Lite - it's free: http://home.earthlink.net/~5wink/dl/cselite652.exe

            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
                I did designate a second hard drive as a scratch disk. My real
                question/concern is why it happened out of the blue after a year of
                perfect functioning when nothing was out of the ordinary. What
                triggered it? If there is an underlying cause, I want to address it.

                --- Ed <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

                > If you will go to help in Photoshop or go to the PS forums, there are
                > several, but they have some people on there who are smart mouth and
                > like to produce little flames. I am fortunate and I have two hard
                > drives both in Gigs in my computer, one of which that I seldom use
                > and I made it
                > the scratch disk and since then I have had not scratch disk problems.
                > The help in Photoshop will explain about the scratch disk area and
                > recommend that you use another drive.
                > Ed

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
                  sisterscape wrote:
                  > I did designate a second hard drive as a scratch disk. My real
                  > question/concern is why it happened out of the blue after a year of
                  > perfect functioning when nothing was out of the ordinary. What
                  > triggered it? If there is an underlying cause, I want to address it.

                  I would guess that you had something not close right. If you were able
                  to get it to start, then I would not worry unless the behavior repeats
                  itself.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
                    Hi All,

                    After a few more messages please be kind enough and take this to
                    the off topic list or to the PhotoShop list. <g> I know all you
                    guys and gals are better techs than them, <vbg> but nevertheless,
                    they can probably help you faster. TIA

                    As far as why did it happen after a year or so of use all of the
                    sudden, things like that happen all the time on computers no
                    matter what the OS is, no matter what brand of hardware, no
                    matter how the person holds their mouth (although I think that
                    plays a major part in these ghostly phantoms! :)

                    How you all had great holidays for those that celebrate any of
                    them that just passed. The next big one is this month on the
                    29th. That is the day everybody on the lists send Jody a birthday
                    present. LOL

                    > I did designate a second hard drive as a scratch disk. My real
                    > question/concern is why it happened out of the blue after a
                    > year of perfect functioning when nothing was out of the
                    > ordinary. What triggered it? If there is an underlying cause,
                    > I want to address it.

                    http://www.notetab.net
                    http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
                    Fookes Software Yahoogroups:
                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
                      Jody wrote:
                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > As far as why did it happen after a year or so of use all of the
                      > sudden, things like that happen all the time on computers no
                      > matter what the OS is, no matter what brand of hardware, no
                      > matter how the person holds their mouth (although I think that
                      > plays a major part in these ghostly phantoms! :)
                      >
                      > How you all had great holidays for those that celebrate any of
                      > them that just passed. The next big one is this month on the
                      > 29th. That is the day everybody on the lists send Jody a birthday
                      > present. LOL
                      >
                      > Happy HTML'n!
                      > Jody

                      Jody, sister,

                      Things may, and do, happen like this quite frequently, especially if
                      Windows is your OS and your OS is set to update automatically. Within
                      the past few days Windows has put out a patch, allegedly for their
                      metafile system.

                      Any update at any time might produce no result, similar results, or,
                      very drastic results. These updates may affect few computers or a large
                      number of computers.

                      Of course, if you don't auto-update this point is moot.

                      I'm CC'ing this to Off-Topic.

                      ºvº
                      06.01.13
                      'Cooking III:'
                      'How Not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People.'
                      hrs ø hsavage@...