Re: [NH] Error message when trying to access 'Help'

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
      Sorry . . . this should have gone to the NTB list - I clicked the wrong
      address and didn't notice it. I reposted in the correct place. Please
      forgive the bother.

      > I don't use the Help files very often (though I would probably learn
      > lot if I did!). When I tried last night, this mesaage popped up -
      > http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/error.gif
      >
      > I clicked on OK and the help files seemed to be just fine. NoteTab
      > is
      > also working OK as far as I can tell.
      >
      > So what is causing this error popup? Could it be the trial of NTB
      > Pro
      > that I have running alongside Light. And is there a way to get rid
      > of
      > the pop error short of a reinstall?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > sisterscape

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mike Hopkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2006
        When I checked the eartherdesigns web site
        http://www.eartherdesigns.com/index.html
        in Texas, USA I found no reason to suspect a connection between them and
        Fookes software of Bern, Switzerland. The directory above the error.gif gave
        me a 403 error, not authorized, so I wasn't able to check whether there were
        similar gifs from websites other than Notetab. The basic eartherdesigns site
        seems to be a local/regional webdesign site favoring earth-first type
        clients. I didn't run a whois on them either.

        Based on this paltry information I would say that your computer *may* have
        been the victim of adware, substituting the NTHelp gif from eartherdesigns
        for the help.chm file in Notetab.

        I would use windows explorer to check that the notetab.chm files were really
        on your box -- and that they were the real thing. Then I would search for
        the eartherdesigns gif and delete it. Then I would delete all temp internet
        files and clean up the cookies folders, run a full security scan --
        antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-adware.

        I WOULD DO THE MALWARE SCANS ATLEAST ONCE EVERY WEEK. AT LEAST! and run a
        good firewall. I do and I rarely find more than one or two tracking cookies
        and only very, very rarely any other malware.

        Mike Hopkins
        ironmike AT inav.net

        > I don't use the Help files very often (though I would probably learn a
        > lot if I did!). When I tried last night, this mesaage popped up -
        > http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/error.gif
        >
        > I clicked on OK and the help files seemed to be just fine. NoteTab is
        > also working OK as far as I can tell.
        >
        > So what is causing this error popup? Could it be the trial of NTB Pro
        > that I have running alongside Light. And is there a way to get rid of
        > the pop error short of a reinstall?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > sisterscape
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2006
          Hey, Mike. The only connection between eartherdesigns and the error
          message is that's where I posted the screen capture so y'all could see
          it.

          Yes, all the NTB files are there and run fine once I get click off the
          error message that Windows is throwing up. What you saw is only a gif
          because it is a screenie.

          I am almost never connected to the internet when I code - still on
          dialup. You know us earth type people tend to be Luddites. ;)

          I keep my computer tight as a drum and clean as a whistle. Haven't had
          any virus or malware on my last two computers. Just an occasional
          unwanted cookie. Must be all good earthy livin'

          http://mail.yahoo.com