Error message when trying to access 'Help'

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
      I don't use the Help files very often (though I would probably learn a
      lot if I did!). When I tried last night, this mesaage popped up -
      http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/error.gif

      I clicked on OK and the help files seemed to be just fine. NoteTab is
      also working OK as far as I can tell.

      So what is causing this error popup? Could it be the trial of NTB Pro
      that I have running alongside Light. And is there a way to get rid of
      the pop error short of a reinstall?

      Thanks,

      sisterscape

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2006
        Sorry . . . this should have gone to the NTB list - I clicked the wrong
        address and didn't notice it. I reposted in the correct place. Please
        forgive the bother.

        > I don't use the Help files very often (though I would probably learn
        > lot if I did!). When I tried last night, this mesaage popped up -
        > http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/error.gif
        >
        > I clicked on OK and the help files seemed to be just fine. NoteTab
        > is
        > also working OK as far as I can tell.
        >
        > So what is causing this error popup? Could it be the trial of NTB
        > Pro
        > that I have running alongside Light. And is there a way to get rid
        > of
        > the pop error short of a reinstall?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > sisterscape

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mike Hopkins
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2006
          When I checked the eartherdesigns web site
          http://www.eartherdesigns.com/index.html
          in Texas, USA I found no reason to suspect a connection between them and
          Fookes software of Bern, Switzerland. The directory above the error.gif gave
          me a 403 error, not authorized, so I wasn't able to check whether there were
          similar gifs from websites other than Notetab. The basic eartherdesigns site
          seems to be a local/regional webdesign site favoring earth-first type
          clients. I didn't run a whois on them either.

          Based on this paltry information I would say that your computer *may* have
          been the victim of adware, substituting the NTHelp gif from eartherdesigns
          for the help.chm file in Notetab.

          I would use windows explorer to check that the notetab.chm files were really
          on your box -- and that they were the real thing. Then I would search for
          the eartherdesigns gif and delete it. Then I would delete all temp internet
          files and clean up the cookies folders, run a full security scan --
          antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-adware.

          I WOULD DO THE MALWARE SCANS ATLEAST ONCE EVERY WEEK. AT LEAST! and run a
          good firewall. I do and I rarely find more than one or two tracking cookies
          and only very, very rarely any other malware.

          Mike Hopkins
          ironmike AT inav.net

          > I don't use the Help files very often (though I would probably learn a
          > lot if I did!). When I tried last night, this mesaage popped up -
          > http://www.eartherdesigns.com/ss/error.gif
          >
          > I clicked on OK and the help files seemed to be just fine. NoteTab is
          > also working OK as far as I can tell.
          >
          > So what is causing this error popup? Could it be the trial of NTB Pro
          > that I have running alongside Light. And is there a way to get rid of
          > the pop error short of a reinstall?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > sisterscape
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2006
            Hey, Mike. The only connection between eartherdesigns and the error
            message is that's where I posted the screen capture so y'all could see
            it.

            Yes, all the NTB files are there and run fine once I get click off the
            error message that Windows is throwing up. What you saw is only a gif
            because it is a screenie.

            I am almost never connected to the internet when I code - still on
            dialup. You know us earth type people tend to be Luddites. ;)

            I keep my computer tight as a drum and clean as a whistle. Haven't had
            any virus or malware on my last two computers. Just an occasional
            unwanted cookie. Must be all good earthy livin'

            http://mail.yahoo.com